Can I use my SIM Card From iPhone 3G with any other AT&T phone?

smac1114

Jul 15, 2009
I probably not going to do this, or i don't even know if I can. But lets just say I was going to. Is it possible to switch the sim card in my iPhone 3g with lets say like the Samsung impression or any non smartphone? or would it need to be a smart phone? or can it not be done? I mean I read that sim cards you can put in any phone, but it can be done w/ a non smartphone, what would happen to the data plan? i would just use it for texting and calling. nothing else really! i would buy a phone full retail price? i mean i don't know if this would even work but i'm just saying what would happen in this situation? BTW i have at&T obviously :)

and sorry i'm new here so i don't know if this has been asked before.. please don't be rude or anythingg. sorry if it has been asked.

spampy22

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
You can use your sim in any phone. Calling and texting works but data plan may or maynot due to ATT recognizing that it's not an iPhone. I use a cheap Go Phone when I'm outside playing with the kids with my iPhone sim card. Oh and it needs to be on ATT to work.

smac1114

Jul 15, 2009
okay yes. i was just going to buy like a phone full retail price.. i know.. but it was for when i need a break from all touch screen and i had a physical keyboard.. lol but yeah i'm not sure if i am even going to do this.. :) and i would only use it for texting and calling no data usage. and this won't mess anything up rightt?

smac1114

Jul 15, 2009
hah okay thanks. i'm still like skeptical about doing it but yeahh! thanks for the help. so i know i'm repeating but just clarifying. if i bought like the Samsung impression at full retail price since i'm not upgrading, i can just put my iPhone 3g sim card in and then it would workk for texting and calling? because thats all a ireally want it for lol

RhoXS

Oct 20, 2007
Last month I dropped and broke my phone. For a few days, until I was able to get to the Apple Store to replace it, I simply put the SIM card into my old Treo 650. The Treo worked perfectly and I was able to receive text messages and pages. I did not check to see if I had internet access but I experienced no problems.