Can i use one Apple ids for 3 Apple products for using iMessage ?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by rugved1118, Oct 30, 2013.

1. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Hello guyz,
    Can i use one Apple id for 3 Apple products for using imessage ?

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes.

3. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Can you tell me how please ? When i add one Apple ids on all three devices, it is asking me to select my cellphone no. And email address. So what do i choose ?

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Add your email into all three. The phone number and the email will be on the iPhone and just the email will be on the other two devices.

5. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Please elaborate. I have two iPhones and one ipad. So can you please tell me how do i go about ?

Sent using iCafe app

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Add the email to both iPhones. If each each iPhone has phone service, they will have a phone number for iMessages and the email. If one iPhone doesn't have phone service, it will just have the email. The iPad will just have the email.

7. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Its not working. Hope my settings are correct. Please chk my screenshot. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1383150726.267148.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You should only have one email in there. When someone sends an iMessage to that email it will go to all of your devices. If they send it to a phone number, it will only go to the iPhone with that phone number.

9. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Okay so which email address should i use on both iPhones ? Yahoo or icloud ?

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Use the iCloud email on all three of them.

11. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

So i guess imessage will use GPRS to send messages. My motive is to exchange messages free of cost even when GPRS Is not active.

Sent using iCafe app

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

iMessages use cellular when WiFi is not available. You'll have to turn iMessages off when you are not on WiFi if you don't want to use any data on messaging. Texts use a fairly negligible amount of data. Pictures use a small amount, but videos use quite a bit and it can add up if you send/receive a lot of them.

13. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Hello europa. Am sorry but I did not understand. Will you please put up in simple words ? What is the difference between cellular data and wifi ? Why should we turn off imessage when not on wifi ?

Sent using iCafe app

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

WiFi is internet at home or provided by businessses. Cellular data is the data plan on your phone that you use when you don't have access to WiFi.

We? I don't recommend that to everyone. You said you were worried about using data.

15. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

So in that case it is similar to whatsApp which does not work without an internet... Right ?

Sent using iCafe app

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, iMessages uses data rather than cellular. Regular texting uses cellular.

17. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Many thanks to clear my doubts. I can use iMessage as an alternative when whatsapp is not working though.

Sent using iCafe app

18. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Hello Europa....
    When i use imessage for exchanging messages to my wife using 1 Apple ids for both, am getting the same message which i have sent to myself also. No wonder she is getting all my messages but even she is getting messages twice. Please check my settings and will you please advice what has went wrng ?
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1383707349.198557.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you text yourself, it is expected that you will receive the message on the same device it was sent from as well as other devices that have the same email account for iMessages.

Your wife should not have your email account listed in her iMessages settings.

Her account should have her phone number. An email account is optional. It should only be one account and it should not be your account. If you share an account she needs to set up a new email for iMessages so she doesn't get your messages.

You shound not have two phone numbers listed. You should have only have one email.

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You posted your Apple ID. I hope you have a very strong password.