Can I use smartphone plan, SIM with unlocked iPhone?

Nov 15, 2008
Hey, this is my first post here, looked like a nice site for this kinda stuff.

I have a contract with AT&T right now, I have a blackjack 2, with the data plan, unlimited texting, and my minutes. I dropped the phone in the lake twice now they first time it ended up working, the second time (i am the idiot) it doesn't seem like it will work. lol.

I was looking into the iPhone and found some unlocked new 3g's that claim to work with any sim, but if I were to buy it drop my sim in, would I need to add something to my plan to work the iPhone, or would my internet surfing be the same as it is on the blackjack? Is the data plan differnet for the iPhone?

I appreciate the help, Corey

Hey, this is my first post here, looked like a nice site for this kinda stuff.

I have a contract with AT&T right now, I have a blackjack 2, with the data plan, unlimited texting, and my minutes. I dropped the phone in the lake twice now they first time it ended up working, the second time (i am the idiot) it doesn't seem like it will work. lol.

I was looking into the iPhone and found some unlocked new 3g's that claim to work with any sim, but if I were to buy it drop my sim in, would I need to add something to my plan to work the iPhone, or would my internet surfing be the same as it is on the blackjack? Is the data plan differnet for the iPhone?

I appreciate the help, Corey
the iPhone 3g data package is 30.00 and if you just stick with your bj2 data plan, you won't have visual voicemail.... everything else will be the same... my brother has a bj2 and sticks his sim in it with his 15.00 data plan and it works perfectly

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
It'll work, but At&t will eventually tell you to change it. They've been cracking down on non-iphone plans attached to 3G iPhone IME's since September. They could, at any time, turn off your data causing you to incur massive data overages.

So just pay the price. If you can't, stick with the Blackjack.

http://gizmodo.com/5052862/iphone-users-with-non+iphone-plans-get-friendly-warning-notes-from-att

There's a lengthy thread at HoFo starting by folks who got the warnings, as well.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
It'll work, but At&t will eventually tell you to change it. They've been cracking down on non-iphone plans attached to 3G iPhone IME's since September. They could, at any time, turn off your data causing you to incur massive data overages.

So just pay the price. If you can't, stick with the Blackjack.

http://gizmodo.com/5052862/iphone-users-with-non+iphone-plans-get-friendly-warning-notes-from-att

There's a lengthy thread at HoFo starting by folks who got the warnings, as well.

Correct. AT&T will ask you to change the plan that is correct to the iPhone. If you don't, they could take the data off and you WILL incur very expensive charges.

Pay up, or get rid of the iPhone.