Can I use someone else's tv provider info?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Jdsmitty10, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Hello
    I just got an Apple TV yesterday. I currently don't have a cable/satellite provider as I am temporarily living with family while building a house. My question is, can I borrow my parents tv provider info? Will they be able to tell? Would that be an issue with their provider?(i don't live with my parents)
    Thanks

Sent using iCafe app

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Why would you need anyone's tv provider info? As far as I know all you need is an Internet connection.

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

No, I think what the OP is asking for is, for example,cor you want to use watchESPN on Apple TV, you must enter your satellite/cable provider username and password to access their service. There are multiple services on the appletv like this. I have no cable service, but I have my buddy's login info so I can watch ESPN stuff when I want to.

To answer the OP, you can use anyone's login info. They don't know or care.

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Or the other scenario where a small cable provider does not provide that service.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 6

5. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Why would your parents care? Ask them. No issues with their provider either.

6. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Question was directed more toward whether the provider would care.. I have used their log in info before just to watch a game or something but was more worried about doing it long term if that would be illegal or anything...

Sent using iCafe app

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What service are you referring to? You can't log into a cable or satellite provider directly though an Apple TV. You need a cable box or DVR to access everything you get through them. You can log into individual services, though. A lot of people share Netflix, HBO GO, etc. I've never heard of anyone having their service terminated as a result, but that would probably be the worst that could happen. Yes, they can tell if you are using the service in two different households if they care to check. No, they probably won't do anything about it. Netflix does detect this automatically (or at least used to) and stop streaming in one household if it is being used in the first household at the same time.

8. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Like if I try to watch certain things it asks for cable/sat provider info.

Sent using iCafe app

9. DomePatrol

DomePatrol New Member

Yes you should be able to. I have Directv and have not been able to get WatchESPN, so I have used my parents information since they have Charter Cable. They have used my login info to watch HBOGO, as well as my MLB.TV login on their Apple TV, so you should be good to go.

Sent using iCafe app