Can I use someone else's tv provider info?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jdsmitty10

Bronze
Oct 19, 2010
Hello
I just got an Apple TV yesterday. I currently don't have a cable/satellite provider as I am temporarily living with family while building a house. My question is, can I borrow my parents tv provider info? Will they be able to tell? Would that be an issue with their provider?(i don't live with my parents)
Thanks

Sent using iCafe app

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
No, I think what the OP is asking for is, for example,cor you want to use watchESPN on Apple TV, you must enter your satellite/cable provider username and password to access their service. There are multiple services on the appletv like this. I have no cable service, but I have my buddy's login info so I can watch ESPN stuff when I want to.

To answer the OP, you can use anyone's login info. They don't know or care.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Or the other scenario where a small cable provider does not provide that service.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 6

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Hello
I just got an Apple TV yesterday. I currently don't have a cable/satellite provider as I am temporarily living with family while building a house. My question is, can I borrow my parents tv provider info? Will they be able to tell? Would that be an issue with their provider?(i don't live with my parents)
Thanks

Sent using iCafe app
Why would your parents care? Ask them. No issues with their provider either.

Jdsmitty10

Bronze
Oct 19, 2010
Why would your parents care? Ask them. No issues with their provider either.
Question was directed more toward whether the provider would care.. I have used their log in info before just to watch a game or something but was more worried about doing it long term if that would be illegal or anything...

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Question was directed more toward whether the provider would care.. I have used their log in info before just to watch a game or something but was more worried about doing it long term if that would be illegal or anything...
What service are you referring to? You can't log into a cable or satellite provider directly though an Apple TV. You need a cable box or DVR to access everything you get through them. You can log into individual services, though. A lot of people share Netflix, HBO GO, etc. I've never heard of anyone having their service terminated as a result, but that would probably be the worst that could happen. Yes, they can tell if you are using the service in two different households if they care to check. No, they probably won't do anything about it. Netflix does detect this automatically (or at least used to) and stop streaming in one household if it is being used in the first household at the same time.

Jdsmitty10

Bronze
Oct 19, 2010
What service are you referring to? You can't log into a cable or satellite provider directly though an Apple TV. You need a cable box or DVR to access everything you get through them. You can log into individual services, though. A lot of people share Netflix, HBO GO, etc. I've never heard of anyone having their service terminated as a result, but that would probably be the worst that could happen. Yes, they can tell if you are using the service in two different households if they care to check. No, they probably won't do anything about it. Netflix does detect this automatically (or at least used to) stop streaming in one household if it is being used in the first household at the same time.
Like if I try to watch certain things it asks for cable/sat provider info.

Sent using iCafe app

DomePatrol

Dec 11, 2013
Slidell, La
Yes you should be able to. I have Directv and have not been able to get WatchESPN, so I have used my parents information since they have Charter Cable. They have used my login info to watch HBOGO, as well as my MLB.TV login on their Apple TV, so you should be good to go.

Sent using iCafe app