Can I use U.S. purchased iPhone in UK

toby2604

Jun 7, 2007
I've had another thought...

Could I...

Get an iPhone from America, unlock it and use it on a T-Mobile contract here in the UK. Or are you forced to update to the new firmware? Oh and i've heard a lot about AppTapp? What does this do. Sorry about the noob-ish post but I havn't been keeping up to date with the iPhone. Still love it though!

Thanks

bard108

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
I've had another thought...

Could I...

Get an iPhone from America, unlock it and use it on a T-Mobile contract here in the UK. Or are you forced to update to the new firmware? Oh and i've heard a lot about AppTapp? What does this do. Sorry about the noob-ish post but I havn't been keeping up to date with the iPhone. Still love it though!

Thanks
Apparently yes. and i am tempted. Just don't upgrade iTunes and you should be alright. Might wanna wait for someone else to confirm though.

toby2604

Jun 7, 2007

Apparently yes. and i am tempted. Just don't upgrade iTunes and you should be alright. Might wanna wait for someone else to confirm though.
So if there were to be another iTunes released, I would have to upgrade the firmware? So iPhone users don't have a choice to stay with the original? Weird.

I suppose if it is possible to import from USA, it would save £69...

Oh yeah, just had another thought. Does anyone know the best/cheapest way to unlock? iPhone Sim Free seems good to me but its $50 :-(

One more thought....if I do go ahead and buy one from USA, it will probably be in about 3 weeks. Will this mean that it will come with the new firmware?!

alan_g

Sep 28, 2007
edinburgh scotland
my mother brought me an iPhone back from the usa, waiting to have it unlocked to use on vodafone here in the uk.
if i get it back soon i'll let you know if it works ok.

toby2604

Jun 7, 2007

Thanks! I will look forward to your reply. When do you think you will get the iPhone?

Do you know if it has the first version of firmware or 2nd?

micirv7899

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
Newcastle, UK
Yes you can unlock it no bother, its really quite an easy process, but if you update to the new firmware it will become an expensive brick.

I Unlocked with ibrickr, wininstaller and iPhonesimfree.

I ve tried orange, t-mobile, vodafone and o2.

Currently using a sim only pay monthly package from o2.

Its cool having a working iPhone in the uk:laugh2:

sweetice2007

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
yeah the iPhone works fine in the uk..ive got one imported and it was unlocked version and im using a 3 sim in there ritght now cos they offer the best data packages, its py n go but u can put a contract sim in there too. regards to firmware updates jus make sure u don't update iTunes or if u do then make sure u don't auto sync it cos it will brick the iPhone, Apple are going to be releasing updates every so often i think so your best off jus not updating it..o be honest i think if they release anything worth updating for the dev team will figure out a hack and we will be ok :-D

alan_g

Sep 28, 2007
edinburgh scotland
got mine back and it works great on vodafone,just need to remember to do no updates.

the wifi is great as someone near me has a connection and i can use it for free:laugh2:

toby2604

Jun 7, 2007
When I buy my iPhone in a few weeks, will it definitely have the latest firmware on it or are they still selling ones with the old version? or can i tell them what i want?

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
i'd try and pick one up from eBay (because at least then you can ask the seller before you buy) and don't end up buying a phone u cant use for a bit (until v1.1.1 is fully cracked!) :mad:

bard108

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
almost 100% sure it will have 1.1.1 after this week. You can tell by the batch code which is stated in the serial number (check out hackint0sh for more details on that one)

Mine should be arriving tomorrow and i really really hope i got an old batch. I'll keep you posted.

sweetice2007

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
more than likeley it will be with the new firmware,theres rumours around saying you cant unlock the ones with the latest firmware but i don't know how true this it

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
more than likeley it will be with the new firmware,theres rumours around saying you cant unlock the ones with the latest firmware but i don't know how true this it
It is true.

It's only a matter of time though, its basically the PSP Firmware issue all over again, it's Sony Vs the Hacker community all over......and we know who's winning that one

Sony 0 - Hackers Win every time :laugh2:

sweetice2007

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
yep spunds bout right ;) people just need not update on the older version until they have been hacked

toby2604

Jun 7, 2007
The problem with eBay is the price. If i buy one and it is shipped from USA i will have to pay all the duty and everything and the ones shipping within England are very expensive.

I have heard things that they have made a way to reverse the update for those who updated and don't like it. Do you think i could do this if i get one with the latest firmware?

sweetice2007

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
toby,

i ordered mine through ebay and it got past customs fine i didn't have to pay the tax on top etc once it had been delivered. not all packages get checked by custom so be prepared to pay for it but more than likely you wont have to pay for it since they tend to go through ok.

i cant comment on the reversing of iTunes etc cos i haven't done it mysekf

toby2604

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, but i don't have the money to pay if i am unlucky and get checked. isn't it another 30% onto the price overall if it gets checked?

sweetice2007

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
i think its between 20-30% yeah - well uw ont get it cheap within the uk and tariffs on o2 are ridiculous