can I use WiFi without phone turned on?

Britton

May 10, 2008
Hi all, new to the group and currently out of AT&T coverage. I'm on vacation out of the country. However, my hotel has free wifi, and I would like to use my phone to surf without turning on the phone signal.

Is this possible?

Sure, i could probably turn the phone on (off of airport mode) and not answer any calls, but with my luck i'm bound to still be charged roaming fees for data push and the like. (I have data push turned off, but still somehow get notifications of new email, different story, different thread)

Anyway, if anyone knows how to get a working wifi signal without going Off Aiport mode, please post a reply. If i've stumbled on something that has aleady been hashed out, my humble apologies. -Britton

lightbulb: I want my iPhone to behave like an iPod touch. Can it be done?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Hi all, new to the group and currently out of AT&T coverage. I'm on vacation out of the country. However, my hotel has free wifi, and I would like to use my phone to surf without turning on the phone signal.

Is this possible?

Sure, i could probably turn the phone on (off of airport mode) and not answer any calls, but with my luck i'm bound to still be charged roaming fees for data push and the like. (I have data push turned off, but still somehow get notifications of new email, different story, different thread)

Anyway, if anyone knows how to get a working wifi signal without going Off Aiport mode, please post a reply. If i've stumbled on something that has aleady been hashed out, my humble apologies. -Britton

Pull the SIM tray out. You'll still have access to WiFi and iTunes.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

Is this possible?

install BossPrefs to turn off EDGE and leave wi-fi on.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you're worried about data roaming charges, you can turn roaming off (in preferences), which should prevent your phone from trying to use another mobile network for data. Your "signal" will still be "on", but you won't have to mess with removing the sim, or Jailbreaking.

could be a simpler alternative for you.