Can iMac be upgraded?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RyansTitan05, May 18, 2014.

1. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

Simple question can you upgrade the hardware to improve performance? I have a 2010 24 inch iMac that I would like to keep but improve performance! I'm sure it's a little outdated!

Any input?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

3. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

Is it worth it? Or should I just update my entire computer? It's going on 5 years old!

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I have an early 24" 2009 iMac. Nothing wrong with it but at the next refresh I'm gonna get a new one. Started using Final Cut Pro about a year ago and frankly it's kinda slow for rendering video.

So we'll see. It just depends what you're doing with your iMac. If you're surfing the internet, doing email, photos and word processing there is nothing wrong with what you have. If you're into video editing well it may be time!

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The RAM, yes that's worth updating, as Europa stated. Anything else is entirely your call, in my opinion. If you are confident enough in your own skills to do it, or have someone you can trust to do it for you, and you find upgrade parts at a worthwhile price, then sure. The hard drive on my 2009 iMac died last year, and I certainly know I'm not qualified to go in there, but luckily, I have a friend who's very good with that kind of stuff, both PC-wise and Mac-wise, and he was able to give new life to my iMac by simply replacing the hard drive (and reinstalling the OS).

If it's going to cost you more than 50% or 60% of the amount of money you would be willing to spend on a new iMac, I would recommend to just keep your current iMac as a backup (or secondary) computer, and purchase a new iMac.

You should be able to find discounted prices on new current iMacs right now, as Apple is reportedly launching updated iMacs with faster processors next week, or possibly, even retina iMacs. You may want to wait to see what next week brings if you want to get the latest and greatest iMac you possibly can.

6. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

You may be able to get a recent, refurbished model through Apple at a lower price than a brand new one would cost.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Or you may get the newly introduced, 21.5" iMac, which now starts at only $1,099:

From Apple's official press release:

"The new 21.5-inch iMac is available today through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Appleā€™s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. Starting at $1,099 (US), the new iMac features a 1.4 GHz processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 2.7 GHz, 8GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive. Configure-to-order options include a 1TB hard drive, a 1TB Fusion Drive, and up to 256GB flash storage. Additional technical specifications, configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at www.apple.com/imac."

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

It's not necessarily worth the money to upgrade RAM. Depends how much you already have and how much you use up while using your Mac. If you don't use all of the RAM you currently have, there's no reason to upgrade it. 8GB is typically sufficient for recent OSX releases.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator