Can iOS 8 restore your faith in Apple's Maps app?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chris, Mar 19, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

There have been rumors that Apple is hard at work on a major upgrade of maps for iOS 8. This isn't surprising given the fallout after Apple took over Maps in iOS 6. That ended up in Tim Cook apologizing, the ouster of Scott Forstall and Tumblr's dedicated to the incredibly awful data of Apple Maps. When I tested it locally during the iOS 6 beta, I had one pretty horrible experience where I got lost. Most of my tests were done locally, so I already knew where I should be going. After seeing all of the awful mapping stories, I went to Navigon and now Google Maps. I've used Apple's Maps once in the past few years.

maps-turn-by-turn.jpg

Now, I prefer the look of Maps over Google's Maps. The UI to me is so much better with Apple's Maps. My issue is trust. When I need maps, I need to be able trust it's going to get me where I'm going. If Apple does reboot Maps in iOS 8, are you willing to give them another shot?

Can Maps in iOS 8 restore your faith in Apple's ability to deliver a world-class mapping and navigation app?

#1 chris, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

probably not.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I guess my issue is that I have to take that initial leap of faith when going somewhere new. If I drive to Maine from NY this summer, with the family in tow, is that a good time to test out Apple's claims? Local driving and navigation is easy for them to get right. I'm concerned about longer trips.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You're 3 times more likely to get lost using Apple Maps than with Google Maps. And Google Maps isn't that great. I'd certainly want to test the new version in iOS 8, before relying on it for directions on a trip. I always carry a trusty paper map.

5. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

A $250 Garmin in a vehicle does wonders too .....

6. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

No. The Maps app stinks. Always sends me to the wrong location. Google maps rocks.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Google Maps sent me in a circle in order to go straight on one road trying to get to South Carolina in February

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've had more trouble with Apple sending me to the wrong place than Google. I think one of the main problems is they allow (allowed?) Yelp users to place a businesss wherever they pleased as if they were playing a game of The Sims. Apple once routed me to a parking lot for a graphics building when it said it was taking me to Chick-Fil-A. The actual restaurant was in Virginia. I was in Nevada. I've also noticed it will sometimes route you to the middle of a random road if you don't add the zip code, even if the businesss is only five miles away. It should already know the zip code. So now I'm very careful to make sure the entire address has been added and that the area code matches the city and Apple usually, but not always, gets it right.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

10. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

Why not just run both before you leave and see if the routes are similar. And can someone please delete the previous reply thx.

11. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I use Waze over the Maps app. It ha provided better navigation in my area.

12. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I live in the south suburbs of Chicago and in this area Apple's maps has proven just as reliable as my Garmin but much more convenient to use. Having said that, my Garmin is always in my car or on my Harley just in case. like others, I have unresolved trust issues with Maps.

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't need maps in my area. I grew up here in this 4 city area in Northwest Alabama that sports a population of about 75,000 people. And since I've had an iPhone, I haven't been anywhere where I needed maps to find my way. But my son has recently moved to an area just north of New Orleans in Covington, La. So maybe there soon.

14. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

A week ago Sunday, I drove a family member to the home of a lady who lives about 40 miles away using Waze. We got there and back without issue. This week, he went on his own but used the Maps app on his own 5S instead. It kept giving him failure after failure as he was trying to get back home. It said he was on LTE but no connection to Apple maps info and no iMessage access although he had good signal strength. He was not amused.

I'd opted for an iPhone based NAV and a car mount as opposed to paying $100 a year to Acura for year-old data DVD's for their in-dash solution.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Okay. I finally have to ask: what does your user name mean, Mike?

16. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

The quick answer is ... "6by9" comes from chapter 33 of "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" by Douglas Adams, the second book of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It encapsulates my philosophy of how the world is the way it is. We often think we know the real answer but that answer may not have any relation to the real, original question.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Ah, thanks I have the "Hitchhiker" books in one volume on my desk within reach right now, but I've only read the first book. I guess I need to get crackng on "Restaurant."

18. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I've always trusted Apple Maps. It has always lead me where I need to go. I'm also in love with the UI, so that's even better.

However, I still do have waze and google maps installed.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sounds like you have trust issues.

20. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I just have Waze installed just to see where the cops are at, to see hazards, and to see if any Wazers are around. I never touch google maps though.

Apple should buy them out.