Can iPhone 5 from Sprint be locked once more?

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by AdamDaieh, Jun 24, 2013.

1. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

I have a few questions here and I hope you could help me with these:

1. Once a Sprint iPhone 5 is unlocked can it be locked once again for Sprint use only? If So, Why or Why Not?

2. I've read that after an ios upgrade you'll lose your unlock. Is it true?

3. And what is the difference between Carrier Unlock and iPhone Factory Unlock?

Thanks!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A factory unlock is permanent. An IMEI unlock that you buy on eBay is equivalent to a factory unlock. These are for the GSM phones (AT&T and T-Mobile in the US), though. Yours is a CDMA phone which also has a GSM radio for worldwide service when traveling. The Verizon iPhone 5 is sold unlocked, so it will work with GSM carriers right out of the box with that carrier's SIM, but it will not work with LTE on all carriers because of hardware limitations. For example, a Verizon iPhone 5 will not be able to access AT&T's LTE network, but it will work fine on 4G HSPA+, Edge and GPRS. I believe the Sprint phone has to be carrier unlocked to work with GSM networks with a SIM from that carrier (unless you want to just roam on them - you don't need to unlock for that). This is permanent as far as I know.

3. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

Thanks for answering. I'm just wondering why is it that my friend's iPhone has been locked again after he upgraded to ios 6.1.3.? Is this normal for an iPhone Factory Unlock?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. Factory unlocks and IMEI unlocks are permanent. Did he get this screen in iTunes after Sprint originally unlocked it for him? If so, he just needs to restore to get the unlock back. If not, have him contact Sprint.

image.jpg

5. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

Not sure if she got that message in iTunes, but she told me Sprint unlocks it for her and she was able to use it to other carriers. Then she upgrade it to ios 6.1.3 and after that she's getting a no service. I'll have her restore it and well see. Thanks!

6. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Are you 100% sure that old Sprint USA iPhone models (iPhone 3Gs, 4, 4s & 5) are usable inside USA after a factory unlock? I heard that they can be used only outside from USA.