Can iPhone handle needs of former BlackBerry user?

fkjr2

Aug 22, 2009
Trying to decide whether to make the leap from Blackberry Bold to iPhone 3GS.

Here are my sticking point:

1. Heavy PIM user - need use of linking contacts to specific tasks and events.
2. Need a full featured PIM app on the iPhone like Pocket Day for Blackberry.
3. Need quick access to contacts in order to sms, email, link, etc.
4. Need multi tasking where I could go back to previous opened screen/app
5. Need app to create "call back" reminders for incoming missed/ignored calls.
6. Need option to "flag" important emails.

All the above can be done with the Blackberry by default or with 3rd party apps.

Big question - can the iPhone 3.0 OS handle my concerns at all?
If so how?

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Probably want to stay with the BB with all the PIM and other specific needs you have. You could jailbreak the iPhone but even then I'm not sure you'd be happy.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
What exactly is PIM. A lot of stuff comes up under google when I searched it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm not sure what it is either, but I know it works on the iPhone because Tinman was talking about it earlier. He would be the one to answer these questions.
Forwarding my mail to a relatively unknown company concerns me just about as much as having to supply my gmail credentials. Yes the owner of the company says they don't hold it, won't do anything with it, etc. But anything can happen with such a small outfit. So I'll wait for the real Gmail push, and till then use MM.

Also, the price of MM, which is more like $60 if you shop around, is not just for email. I, for instance, mainly use it for push syncing of PIM data. When I enter a new contact or appointment, in seconds it's synced to the MM cloud and then to Outlook on my MM-connected computers. The same happens in reverse, naturally.

Then there is remote wipe, find my iPhone, etc. So it's really quite a bit more than just push email (which is probably its weakest feature).

--
Mike

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
PIM is the calendar, contacts, tasks, and email portion of a devices software. Many users recognize the limitations of the iPhone in regards to PIM capabilities. Some want to be able to have seamless integration between these components. And the OP is wanting to do very specific things that most devices aren't currently capable of due to software constraints. In fact probably only the BB can do all the things on his list.
It's like an iPhone owner could come up with a list and place it on a BB site that the BB currently can't do.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
PIM=personal information management like files, contacts, calendar stuff...sync stuff.
in addition...how the device manages the data..

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
It pains me to say it, but maybe a Palm Pre? It apparently has very good multitasking.