Can jailbroken 3GS be reliably upgraded to iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Ugruk, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Ugruk

Ugruk New Member

I recently purchased a "like new" 3gs from a local jailbreak guru. The phone was untethered and running ios 5.0. He said that he jailbroke under an earlier ios version, then upgraded ios while maintaining the jailbreak. I guess this would make it "semi-tethered" but I'm not sure what that means since the phone could be turned off and on without assistance. The phone worked great for a couple of weeks while I was traveling. When I got back to a 3G area, I tried to update apps via Cydia. This basically killed the phone -- it would not boot and could not be restored. This was confirmed by diagnostic tests at the Apple store, which replaced the phone for $150.

The Question: The new phone is running ios 4.3.5. I must update to ios 5 in order to synch because that's what my old phone was running when I backed up everything. I would really like to have the new phone jailbroken first, but am wondering if there are known issues with the scenario I described -- i.e., jailbeaking on ios 4.* - then updating to 5.0 while maintaining the semi-tethered jailbreak. I'd hate to do this, then have the phone fry the first time I update on Cydia.

My technical knowledge on this is limited. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Just update the iPhone in the normal way to IOS 5..... once done, look to use one of the current jailbreak methods Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze... to jailbreak your device...then resync/backup all you stuff from iTunes..

3. Ugruk

Ugruk New Member

Hey - I appreciate you getting back to me. The thing is ... I need an untethered jailbreak because I travel a lot and often to not have ready access to a computer. My understanding is that only tethered jailbreaks are currently available for ios 5. The phone that crashed was untethered (or semi-tethered / I'm still not sure what that means) and running ios 5. Maybe I just just go ahead and update to 5.0 in hopes that an untethered jailbreak will be available to the public soon?

My main issue is that I will need the phone to be unlocked so I can use international sim cards, especially during summer travel. It would also be nice to be able to use MyWi again.

Thanks