Can magnets really BRICK an iPhone ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
I'm a newbie here, just got my iPhone last Thursday. I've been reading on these message boards for a bit though. I've been hearing rumors that magnets, for instance in phone cases, can brick an iPhone. Mac/Life magazine actually has it listed in it's article this month on 25 iPhone Power Tips (tip #9). Has anyone run into this problem, it actually scares me a bit. Why would they sell cases with magnets for iPhones if this were true ? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com
I'm a newbie here, just got my iPhone last Thursday. I've been reading on these message boards for a bit though. I've been hearing rumors that magnets, for instance in phone cases, can brick an iPhone. Mac/Life magazine actually has it listed in it's article this month on 25 iPhone Power Tips (tip #9). Has anyone run into this problem, it actually scares me a bit. Why would they sell cases with magnets for iPhones if this were true ? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I'm no engineer but I believe the strength of a magnet that holds a case flap closed is no where near strong enough to zap static memory. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm no engineer but I believe the strength of a magnet that holds a case flap closed is no where near strong enough to zap static memory. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.
Not only do I concur, there isn't any magnetic media in the iPhone to begin with.

I have been using a magnetic-closure case for more than two months. No problems, no problems. Had I had problems, it wouldn't have been due to the case. What likely happened is that a few people had problems with their iPhones, but happened to have magnetic cases. Never mind that other people have problems without magnetic cases, these people came to the (IMO erronious) conclusion that the case was the problem.

It's disturbing that this "tip" appeared in a mag's list. I could just as easily say that most of the people who have had iPhone problems had eaten carrots in the last month. Ergo, eating carrots should be avoided by all iPhone owners. :p:p:p

--
Mike

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
I shall avoid carrots then, lol.........Seriously though, I really don't think they would sell a majority of the horizontal cases with magnets, if they indeed caused the bricking of the iPhones the cases were trying to protect. Makes no sense. Thanks for the insight. I carry my iPhone in a Mobi hard case and a leather Treo case that has magnets, so I should be safe if it's true ?!?