Can Orange block an iPhone that is locked to another network?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by P77TTN, Feb 28, 2014.

1. P77TTN

P77TTN New Member

Hi guys. first post. :) I was informed today by orange customer service that the iPhone 5s I purchased from them would be network locked to which ever sim you put in the phone first!

My question is can orange block a phone that is locked to another network?

I should add for those who might ask I have no intention of putting another sim in first I was just asking!

#1 P77TTN, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

iPhones sold through Orange are locked to Orange. You can't activate or use it with a SIM from another network unless you get it unlocked.

3. P77TTN

P77TTN New Member

Not according to orange customer services.... he told me not to put another sim into my iPhone 5s before I put orange contract sim in as it will lock to that network. Then I would have to pay to unlock it so I can use my contract sim in it.

#3 P77TTN, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What the rep said makes no sense at all.

5. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Orange is confused. A phone cannot lock itself to the first SIM installed. Orange can lock it to their own network but that's all they can do. Unlocked phones do not re-lock themselves. Having a phone auto-lock to the first SIM used would serve no purpose to Orange.

6. P77TTN

P77TTN New Member

the phones come like that from Apple as they do when you buy one from phones4u or carphonewharehouse

google iPhone5s locks to first sim

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I Googled it and found one forum reply saying something along those lines, but I think you misinterpreted his post. I'm pretty sure he just worded it awkwardly and meant it was already locked to that carrier before putting the SIM in. If he was saying what the rep told you, he's wrong.

I don't understand why you asked this question here if your mind is made up that the rep is correct and you aren't going to accept our answers.

8. P77TTN

P77TTN New Member

you have not actually answered the question!
    the question was not does it lock to the first sim!

the question was can orange block a phone that is locked to another network?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. An iPhone purchased through Orange can't get locked to another carrier to begin with. They can't block their customers for trying to use another SIM. Other carriers' SIMs wouldn't work unless it was unlocked. Phones sold through Orange are locked to Orange to begin with. And even if they weren't, they would have no reason to block their own customers. They want to make money off of you through the monthly payments, not push you to use a different carrier.

10. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

As far as I know, the closest a GSM carrier can come to "blocking" a phone is with pre-BB10 BlackBerrys. If a carrier doesn't support BIS then the BlackBerry will not work as designed. It will still do voice calls and text messages, but data services won't work.

CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint can (and do) refuse to activate certain devices. Neither will activate a device they did not sell themselves. But GSM carriers don't have this capability. If the SIM card fits you can use it.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The SIM card fitting is not enough if it's a locked phone, even if it's GSM. It has to be unlocked first.

The point is that a carrier wouldn't sell you a phone only to turn around and block your service. What he's really asking is will it lock to a carrier it's not tied to if you put that carrier's SIM in it first, and the answer is no. Orange phones are tied to them. You'd have to get it unlocked to use it on another carrier and it would still work on Orange after it was unlocked.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's it. I'm putting a rider on the forum guidelines regarding excessive punctuation. :D

13. P77TTN

P77TTN New Member

NO what im asking is if I put a Vodafone sim in and it locks to Vodafone can orange then blocke the phone!

14. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

A Vodafone-locked device will not work on Orange.

15. P77TTN

P77TTN New Member

I'm not asking that. If the phone is locked to Vodafone can orange then block it.... its not a difficult question many replies but no answer?

16. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Have you stopped beating your wife?

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It would not work on Vodaphone and Orange will not block it from Orange's network after you tried it. It would only work on Orange.
    I've answered your question many times. You're just not understanding what I'm saying. I think you are really asking a two-part question, though you don't realize it.

An iPhone purchased through Orange would not become locked to Vodaphone in the first place. Since it would not become locked to Vodaphone, then second part of your question (the one you keep asking) becomes invalid. I've been trying to explain to you why it would not happen.

If your other posts aren't relevant and your reworded question stands on its own, the answer is still no, but it requires a different explanation. If this phone was purchased through and locked to Vodaphone, Orange could not block it. However, it wouldn't work on Orange unless it was unlocked because it would be a Vodaphone-locked phone.

Carriers don't block phones unless they are reported stolen. Locked phones will only work on one network. In your case, this is Orange.

18. P77TTN

P77TTN New Member

no I don't get it! im sure that is some form of knuckle dragging humour but I see nothing in my posts that would suggest A that I am married and B that I would beat my wife!...

19. P77TTN

P77TTN New Member

ok thank you!

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He wasn't litterally saying you do that. He was just saying you are asking a loaded question. The question he asked you is an example of a loaded question.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question