Can reception be improved with a software update?

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
The 'are you bored yet' thread made me evaluate what exactly was irritating me the most about the iPhone after this much time and I decided (easily) that it was the call quality.

I know not everyone has issues, but I do when I'm home. I am on the same ATT/Cingular network as my old 1st gen razr but I'm dropping at least half my calls now and people are getting annoyed with me 'breaking up' before it finally does drop. Didn't have that issue before with the razr, even tho the signal is marginal at the house.

I'm not just complaining but would like to know if there is any hope for me/us to see an improvement in the performance in this area with just a software update? I suppose there are a great number of possible reasons for poor call quality and dropped calls with a particular phone, but are at least some of them software related? Or are they all a result of hardware design (antenna, etc) for which there are no real fixes?

Give me hope!
Mike

pounce

Jul 20, 2007
i get slightly better reception than with my old nokia. similar to, but slightly better than. so no complaints here.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
Not as good reception as my razr was, but great none the less. Works in movie theatres and in my basement, so I am satisfied.

I imagine though since it does work well in both those places for me, improving it for others might happen through a software update. It's definitely not a hardware issue or we would all be seeing issues.

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Not as good reception as my razr was, but great none the less. Works in movie theatres and in my basement, so I am satisfied.

I imagine though since it does work well in both those places for me, improving it for others might happen through a software update. It's definitely not a hardware issue or we would all be seeing issues.
I doubt a software update will do much for reception. I would guess that reception is a product of the antenna type and location. Perhaps the way you are holding the phone in your hand while talking is blocking some antenna coverage, not really sure since I am not sure where they stuck the antenna on this thing.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
I doubt a software update will do much for reception. I would guess that reception is a product of the antenna type and location. Perhaps the way you are holding the phone in your hand while talking is blocking some antenna coverage, not really sure since I am not sure where they stuck the antenna on this thing.
Honestly I do think it is partly software. My wifi router had quite a bit worse reception with one particular firmware, installed a different one and it was a whole lot better. The iPhone does not have bad reception. I have full bars in my basement and in movie theatres. The capability for the best reception is there. I do notice one thing with the iPhone is it'll make sudden reception drops that go right back up 2 seconds later. Now that sounds like software to me.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Honestly I do think it is partly software. My wifi router had quite a bit worse reception with one particular firmware, installed a different one and it was a whole lot better. The iPhone does not have bad reception. I have full bars in my basement and in movie theatres. The capability for the best reception is there. I do notice one thing with the iPhone is it'll make sudden reception drops that go right back up 2 seconds later. Now that sounds like software to me.
I've noticed the same thing when using edge. Could i suppose be related to the dropped calls. Dunno about the poor call quality (breaking up). It does seem likely that this would be software related rather than the actual signal dropping off like a brick.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
bump. I'm surprised no one seems to have any knowledge on this topic...
I live in a mountainous area north of LA, so I am lucky to get 4 bars, and it fluctuates down to one. I looked on the AT&t coverage map and it shows that I am in a 4 bar area and if I lived about 6 blocks up I would be in a 5 bar area, but I am not moving for the extra bar.

What is you zip code and I can look it up.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I've checked it and by the Cingular maps I'm in an area one above the lowest level of coverage. But that's not the point. The call performance is worse than with my old razor on the same network and the same location.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I've checked it and by the Cingular maps I'm in an area one above the lowest level of coverage. But that's not the point. The call performance is worse than with my old razor on the same network and the same location.
Mine is as good if not a little better then my previous Razor. I've went through 2 razors. Loved them both too.

To comment about the reception and a software update.

I hacked my Razor phone, 2 weeks after it came out on the market. After playing with the code, others including myself found lots of hidden code and features that were never turned on, on the original razors. So we turned it on. Playing around with it was a lot of fun too. There were ways to lower reception and increase reception in quality, but it cause you to sacrifice other things in the process.

If the reception problem is hardware related... No amount of software update is going to help.

If the reception problem is software related... Yes a quick firmware update or change in code could produce better quality and reception.

The main problem really is.... "We don't know if the reception problems some people experience are hardware or software related."

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
Mine is as good if not a little better then my previous Razor. I've went through 2 razors. Loved them both too.

To comment about the reception and a software update.

I hacked my Razor phone, 2 weeks after it came out on the market. After playing with the code, others including myself found lots of hidden code and features that were never turned on, on the original razors. So we turned it on. Playing around with it was a lot of fun too. There were ways to lower reception and increase reception in quality, but it cause you to sacrifice other things in the process.

If the reception problem is hardware related... No amount of software update is going to help.

If the reception problem is software related... Yes a quick firmware update or change in code could produce better quality and reception.

The main problem really is.... "We don't know if the reception problems some people experience are hardware or software related."
Honestly how can it be hardware related if some people get full bars 2 floors underground or in their basements. What probably can be done is a software update to help maximize the potential reception for those in not so well covered areas.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Honestly how can it be hardware related if some people get full bars 2 floors underground or in their basements. What probably can be done is a software update to help maximize the potential reception for those in not so well covered areas.
I run a large QA dept for our software company. I can tell you that it could still go either way, since you have a mass produced, highly technological piece of equipment. I mean we've already discovered there are 2 types of screens users have on the iPhone. Possibly the company making them also used a different kind of internal antenna, or maybe the switch suppliers of the transceiver assembly during the production run, because of a shortage.

I'm not saying it's not Software, but using the logic of what you said, if everyone is on the same Software Version, Some are having issues and others like myself are not having a issue. It would point to something other than a software issue.

That's why I said it could be either or a combo of both.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
My reasoning was that we all have the same internal antenna and same software to go with it. Those of us in very easy to get reception areas (metro atlanta) have no trouble getting reception even in basements, but for those areas that don't have as easy to obtain reception, a software update might help them, but something I wouldn't really notice probably with my usage.