Can some one tell me what...

KGMJr32

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
Boston, MA
The advantages are to “hacking the iPhone”? My phone was purchased by work for work so I wouldn’t be trying this until I understood it better. There seems to be a lot people experiencing issues either trying, doing it and/or ruining their phone(s).

So I ask:
Why do it?
What are the advantages?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Mostly to add applications. Unlike PalmOS and Windows based phones, Apple has chosen to prevent you from developing and installing applications. "Jailbreaking" it allows you to install applications that do lots of different things - a look through the forum will give you an idea of what - ranging from games to customization.

That said, Apple has announced a Software Development Kit (SDK) that will allow applications to be made -- and, in theory, installed -- on the iPhone. So shortly, Jailbreaking might turn out to be unnecessary.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I don't - I just got my iPhone a few weeks ago after the SDK was announced, so I'm waiting.

What I have seen that would have me doing it if the SDK weren't around the corner:

1. Apps like Summerboard that allow you to customize the home page, including having wallpaper behind it.

2. The multi-touch photo album software being discussed in another post.

3. Perhaps one of the game system emulators that are being posted.

I'm sure there's a lot I would install if I really read up more on what is available. Take a look in the 3rd Party Applications forum and you'll see a lot of people discussing these apps.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
The advantages are to “hacking the iPhone”? My phone was purchased by work for work so I wouldn’t be trying this until I understood it better. There seems to be a lot people experiencing issues either trying, doing it and/or ruining their phone(s).

So I ask:
Why do it?
What are the advantages?
It's a toy. People like to play and customise it, make it personal, again and again, maybe to add some features that you got used to on another phone? like texting multiple people, or wireless sync, or a built-in spirit level!

Personally I want a phone that's also an ipod, and has decent web and email capability. So I'm sorted.