Can Somebody Explain Unlocking?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dietPEPSI

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Im sick of ATT...ive never seen such horrible service in my life...the phone goes from full reception, to 2 seconds later it just loses everything even though nothing has changed....its like pathetic.....

So.....im thinking about unlocking...

1) What happens with an unlock? It allows the phone ro receive signal from some other carrier?

2) Say i want to do it for t-mobile....would i need a t-mobile sim card? Or could i use the same setup and everything i have now....and i just get t-mobiles reception?

3) If i need a t-mobile sim card.....would i need to have that activated and paying for it monthly? So id be paying 2 bills? one for the ATT contract I have right now....and one for t-mobile?

4) If i unlocked...and i wanted to update the phone for some reason......is there a way to get it back to original settings so that my phone doesn't brick?

Oct 9, 2007
Im sick of ATT...ive never seen such horrible service in my life...the phone goes from full reception, to 2 seconds later it just loses everything even though nothing has changed....its like pathetic.....

So.....im thinking about unlocking...

1) What happens with an unlock? It allows the phone ro receive signal from some other carrier?

2) Say i want to do it for t-mobile....would i need a t-mobile sim card? Or could i use the same setup and everything i have now....and i just get t-mobiles reception?

3) If i need a t-mobile sim card.....would i need to have that activated and paying for it monthly? So id be paying 2 bills? one for the ATT contract I have right now....and one for t-mobile?

4) If i unlocked...and i wanted to update the phone for some reason......is there a way to get it back to original settings so that my phone doesn't brick?
1- Certain cellphones are locked to a carrier (read: iPhone) by locked that means that it can only be used with that carriers sim and on that carriers network. So with a locked iPhone you can only use the activated AT&T sim card and putting anything aside from that sim card in would bring it back to the activate screen with an invalid sim popup. An unlocked iPhone means that you can put in a Tmobile sim card and (if your a customer) then you can pick up their reception and use their network (or any other GSM network).

2- No, if you wanted t-mobile then you would have to first unlock, then fake activate and get a t-mobile sim card.

3- Yes, you would have to FAKE activate the iPhone, then unlock, then use the t-mobile sim and you would HAVE to either sign a contract with tmobile or go pay as you go. Since you have already signed a contract with AT&T you would have to cancel that contract in order to not pay two contracts (with TM and ATT) but when you cancel you contract you would have to pay the early termination fee (unless you signed, i believe, with 14days of today)

4- Yes, however its slightly complicated and unless you know how to use a search button on a forum, read, research, follow directions its impossible. And believe me, no offense to you as i don't know you, A LOT of people cant do any.

cheers