Can someone answer this question please?

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
I just discovered that I am eligible for the new 3G iPhone as the discounted price, but my question is..

Let's say on July 11th I walk out with a new 3G iPhone with the $30/month data plan, and a month or 2 later, I lost the iPhone or "damaged" it, wouldn't it seem fair enough to CANCEL the data plan? So will AT&T allow me to cancel the data plan? I'm sure by then the 3G would be unlocked, so wouldn't I just be able to pop in my sim card if it IS unlockable by then?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yes, you can cancel the data plan at any time.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
1 more question?

Since that question was so easy maybe someone can answer this...

I bought a iPhone from AT&T at launch. Sold it a few months back, took advantage of a subsidized phone and then recently bought a used iPhone from my friend and activated it through iTunes. Will I still be eligible for the $199 prices even though the iPhone I just bought was black market/used?

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
yes, you can cancel the data plan at any time.

But will there be some kind of a penalty? Or when I cancel the data plan, the iPhone will just be a useless piece of device unless it's "jailbroken"?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no penalty, but if you happen to use EDGE at ALL, ATT will charge you out the wazoo... so you can use it as a basic phone, and data via wifi. No jailbreak needed.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com

I bought a iPhone from AT&T at launch. Sold it a few months back, took advantage of a subsidized phone and then recently bought a used iPhone from my friend and activated it through iTunes. Will I still be eligible for the $199 prices even though the iPhone I just bought was black market/used?
Yes you can .. just give them your serial number :laugh2:
click the sig ;)

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
But isn't EDGE always on? See the last iPhone i had, there was a jailbreak APP, that had a toggle switch to shutdown EDGE alltogether, and i had no data plan, but won't the iPhone 3g just rack me up on charges with edge (which is on 24/7)? or will there be a way to close edge on the 3g iPhone?

I mean i donot need 3g OR edge, if anything, i am very happy with just wifi..

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia

I'm not entirely sure but I have a feeling that you are NOT eligible for the $199/$299 pricing because of the first subsidized phone as well as the iPhone activation. I hope I'm wrong though.

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
I'm not entirely sure but I have a feeling that you are NOT eligible for the $199/$299 pricing because of the first subsidized phone as well as the iPhone activation. I hope I'm wrong though.
Yes, I think you are wrong actually...

I used to have an iPhone, and it got stolen, so I got a new phone from AT&T, and I've been using the blackberry since, and I just found out that I am actually eligible for the new iPhone for 199/299...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yes, I think you are wrong actually...

I used to have an iPhone, and it got stolen, so I got a new phone from AT&T, and I've been using the blackberry since, and I just found out that I am actually eligible for the new iPhone for 199/299...
That would be good then if this was the case for him as well. I know that a lot of people are being surprised by the fact that they are eligible for an upgrade when they thought they were not.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

If you have a current iPhone data plan on your account, you will be eligible to upgrade.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
But isn't EDGE always on? See the last iPhone i had, there was a jailbreak APP, that had a toggle switch to shutdown EDGE alltogether, and i had no data plan, but won't the iPhone 3g just rack me up on charges with edge (which is on 24/7)? or will there be a way to close edge on the 3g iPhone?

I mean i donot need 3g OR edge, if anything, i am very happy with just wifi..
yes edge is always on but they are not going to charge you anything if you don't use it. for example you wont get charged for being connected to edge or 3g, out as soon as you hit safari, or, maps, or weather, or and other app that uses the Internet they will then charge you for that