Can someone explain AT&T contract and upgrade status

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I purchased the original iPhone as soon as it came out, and then purchased the 3G on July 11th. Didn't the subsidy for the 3G add two more years to my contract? Now AT&T is telling me that i'll be due for an upgrade 7/12/2009.

Why doesn't this make sense? (to me, at least)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
your contract and upgrade status are separate. If you get a new iPhone in 09, your 2year contract will be renewed, and you will have to wait another year to upgrade.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I purchased the original iPhone as soon as it came out, and then purchased the 3G on July 11th. Didn't the subsidy for the 3G add two more years to my contract? Now AT&T is telling me that i'll be due for an upgrade 7/12/2009.

Why doesn't this make sense? (to me, at least)
you can update your contract at any time, but in the case of upgrading your iPhone, you're old iPhone contract, whether you are a month into it, or 1 year and 11 months, is wiped clean and you start over with a new contract with the new iPhone. The possibility of getting a new iPhone when the next version comes out is still there (although not likely, since the 3G was subsidized), but as of the 12th of July, you have 2 years on the current contract.

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
Do you have a corporate discount? At one point in time I was told that if you are a businesss customer they don't make you do 2 yr contracts only 1 yr but of course nothing "standard" applies to the iPhone, just a guess.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
you can update your contract at any time, but in the case of upgrading your iPhone, you're old iPhone contract, whether you are a month into it, or 1 year and 11 months, is wiped clean and you start over with a new contract with the new iPhone. The possibility of getting a new iPhone when the next version comes out is still there (although not likely, since the 3G was subsidized), but as of the 12th of July, you have 2 years on the current contract.
I agree with Hawk.