Can someone explain push and fetch?

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Can someone explain push and fetch to someone (me) who doesn't understand the technology behind the technology? I don't' know how to determine if these features should be on or off on my iPhone. I have three email accounts, one on optonline and two businesss accounts for my homebased businesss. I use Outlook email and calendar but I am not connected to an office network.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
push mail (yahoo, mobile me, exchange etc) will be delivered to your phone the minute it's received by the mail server. Fetch mail is retrieved in intervals(ie. 15, 30 mins, 1hr) or manually. That can be setup in the mail settings. hope that helps you a bit.

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Can you use the push feature with any server or does it only work with specific servers? If it is only servers like the ones you listed, I probably need to set my mail settings to fetch, not push...

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Can you use the push feature with any server or does it only work with specific servers? If it is only servers like the ones you listed, I probably need to set my mail settings to fetch, not push...
Specific servers.

For example Gmail will fetch to iPhone, mac mail is now push. Fetch is fine for me also.

What email do you need to set up, or did you already set it up on the iPhone?

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I have three email accounts set up on my iPhone..one on optonline (part of the Optimum Online/Cablevision system) and two with what I guess would be private servers that are affiliated with my businesss. None are with companies like Yahoo, gmail, AOL etc.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
you can find out if the mail accounts are fetch and push. Go into Fetch New Data. Under Advance, you can see the different options available for that account. There you will be able to tell if push is available or not.

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks for your responses.

Each of my mail accounts gives the choice of either fetch or manual. So I should set "push" to off since they are not push accounts?

Jagbomb

Jul 23, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for your responses.

Each of my mail accounts gives the choice of either fetch or manual. So I should set "push" to off since they are not push accounts?
That is the question I want answered too, under my work email the only two options I have are fetch and manual. Does my work exchange server need an update to allow push? Also my contacts and calendar items are not "fetching", just email. :(

**Update**

I got what I needed. I didn't realize I needed to create a new account with exchange as my email. I'm all set.