Can someone help me before my wife kills me?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Terry M., Jul 16, 2015.

1. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

My wife had an iPhone before I did but now I've went back again. The problem is that since we share the same iTunes account our info is getting interchanged on our separate phones. Example: the contacts I put in my phone show up on her contacts list also, and vice versa. Also Siri can't tell us apart. I'll ask her my name and it says I'm "Monica" (my wife) and hers will say "Terry". Is there any way to fix this shy of changing and splitting our iTunes accounts? Thanks in advance.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Share only the iTunes ID. But you need different iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's. Who's email is used for iTunes ID? If hers, you should change your iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID. Use your own email address.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, you really should have separate iCloud accounts. In the iCloud settings, log out of the iCloud account and then set up your own. This way you can keep all of your bookmarks, contacts, Notes and documents and data separate and you will both get your own free 5 GB of storage space. You both can still log into the same iTunes account in the iTunes and App Store apps and share purchases. She will continue to use the iCloud account that is already set up and you will have the new one.

4. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Ok thanks. I got my own iCloud account setup and let her keep the original. But now I have another question: I have movies stored on (now her) iCloud and I want to delete from hers (to open more storage space) and make sure they get on mine. How to do this? Thanks again.

5. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

You might explore using iTunes Family sharing, which will allow you to share apps, music, etc, but not share items you don't want to share. It does require separate Apple IDs, but you can share the stuff you purchase. Best of both worlds.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It depends on how you added them. Did you use a Mac or a PC to add them to an iCloud folder?

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Now that you have your own iCloud account, you can take it one step further and start using Family Sharing if you want as up10ad suggested. It certainly isn't a requirement, though. You can continue to use it like you are now (both logging into the same iTunes/App Store and you logging into your own iCloud account in the iCloud settings). The only downside to continuing to do it that way you currently are is that you have to log into the two places with different accounts. If you set up Family Sharing, you would log into the App Store and iTunes with your new iCloud account and you would essentially share all of her downloads. It's not a big deal at all to keep it the way you have it and log into the two separately. I've done it this way for years.

8. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Thanks guys. I did turn on family sharing on both our phones. Unfortunately the movies are still showing in her cloud (and mine which is good) and eating up her free 5gb. I need to get them off her iCloud. I added them using a PC Europa. Can you still help me out?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They are showing up in both? That doesn't sound right since you are now logged into a different account. Did you also add them to your iCloud account? Please describe the steps you used to add these movies to iCloud. I'm wondering if you are actually talking about iTunes movies that show up in the Videos app? This would make sense since you are now doing Family Sharing. They don't use iCloud space.

It might be other media that is taking up much of her iCloud space. On her phone, go to iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage to see how it is being allocated. You can delete stuff from there by tapping the edit button in the upper right.

10. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

ugh yes I am and I think I see my problem now. We still share the same iTunes account. However it shows that the movies are stored in the cloud on both phones. That's why I need to delete them off her cloud, it's the only thing eating up space. I checked under her "manage iCloud storage"

11. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

I just checked again. You're right Mindi. The movies aren't hogging the storage space. She has 169 pics and 6 videos that take up 3.1gb. She's gonna have to delete some stuff there apparently

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, no worries, iTunes videos don't use any of your 5 GB of iCloud space. They have a cloud symbol to show that they are stored in the cloud but that's not your iCloud space. If you actually stream them it will use WiFi or cellular.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

More than 2/3 of that space is her camera roll videos. They are likely very long. 169 pictures should be taking much less than 1 GB. She can sync the videos to the computer and then delete them. Another option is to crop them down to a smaller size and then delete the originals if she wants to keep a shorter segment of them on the phone and in the cloud.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

One thing to keep in mind with Family Sharing is although most app developers allow sharing paid spps, they have ramped up the in-app purchases that have to be purchased separately. My Wife and I chose to keep doing what we were doing. Same iTunes ID but different iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Wow. Thanks. That's good to know. People are definitely better off logging into the same iTunes/App Store account and then getting their own iCloud account. That's the best of both world. I've always recommended this method and now I will definitely continue to do so.

16. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

This is how we do it with our family. All four of us share the same iTunes account but have separate iCloud accounts for iMessage and Facetime, etc.