Can someone using the iPhone with T-Mobile answer some questions?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
1. Which data plan do you need to get?
2. Do you still get alerted of new voicemails without visual voicemail or do you need to constantly call your voicemail to see if you have anything new?
3. Are there any features besides visual voicemail that don't work?
4. Are you worried about future updates blocking your phone again?

rotero

Sep 24, 2007
2. Do you still get alerted of new voicemails without visual voicemail or do you need to constantly call your voicemail to see if you have anything new?
1. If you edit the proxy settings you can use the $5.99 T-Zones Plan, or you can use the $19.99 Total Internet/Blackberry Data Plan.

2. Yes, voicemail works like a normal T-Mobile phone.

3. No.

4. No. I won't update until it is determined to be safe to update, or an update hack comes out.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Tested some (have both ATT and T-Mobile currently)

1. I'm using the $19.99 unlimited data and Hot Spots plan, I understand you can use the cheaper T-zones but I've never tested it. With the plan you I have can use 2 different servers (wap.Voicestream.com, normal T-zones one and Internet2.Voicestream.com, only accessible with unlimited account)
2. Not checked this yet as primarily running on ATT.
3. Everything else works, including YouTube (but needed to ensure a few thing to get this to work)
4. I am hence not ditched ATT yet

Why you may ask do I have both - Family is on T-Mobile and has been for years. I switched to ATT just because of iPhone. ATT Family plans suck and are not cheap as part of an iPhone plan. My T-mobile SIM is covered at no extra cost as part of the T-Mobile plan. All I am paying for on the T-Mobile plan is the Internet/Hot Spot fee ($19.99) - the Hot Spot plan is nice (I need to check if iPhone plan covers ATT Hot Spot - I suspect not unless you pay but).

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
1. If you edit the proxy settings you can use the $5.99 T-Zones Plan, or you can use the $19.99 Total Internet/Blackberry Data Plan.

2. Yes, voicemail works like a normal T-Mobile phone.

3. No.

4. No. I won't update until it is determined to be safe to update, or an update hack comes out.
Online it says that Total Internet plan is $39.99 (see here), how are you getting it for $19.99? And if I do the T-Zones plan, is that for unlimited internet for only $5.99?

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Its an add on to a voice plan (web-page is confusing)

If you have a voice plan then the price drops - it dropped to this when iPhone launched (it called being competitive) - as an add on it used to be $29. Price on web is if you have only data plan - check this by adding phone and voice plan to a dummy order (don't complete the order)

rotero

Sep 24, 2007
Online it says that Total Internet plan is $39.99 (see here), how are you getting it for $19.99? And if I do the T-Zones plan, is that for unlimited internet for only $5.99?
If you change your phone to a Blackberry in My T-Mobile account page, then it will show as $19.99.

I was using the $5.99 T-Zones plan on my Dash and it was unlimited. However, on the iPhone, you have to modify the proxy settings. Also, with the modified proxy, YouTube does not seem to work. I'm sticking with the Blackberry plan, until the proxy hack gets all the kinks worked out.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
ok .. Apple just released a statement warning users that unlocked iPhones may become inoperable in the future and that unlocking software permanently damages phones. .... so take it for what its worth. its a big risk to save $240 over the course of 2 years.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
ok .. Apple just released a statement warning users that unlocked iPhones may become inoperable in the future and that unlocking software permanently damages phones. .... so take it for what its worth. its a big risk to save $240 over the course of 2 years.
Can you cite your source?

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Get the 19.99 total internet plan if you are squemish about leeching off 4.99 t-zones (I do it!).

New voicemail alerts look like a red dot. If you have missed calls AND voicemail, iPhone will say "2+" (ie: 2 missed calls + voicemail). The red dot is ON BY DEFAULT when you turn the phone on, so it may be a problem if you do a lot of resetting of the phone. VV is out, of course. Good riddance.

No other features missing...

Future update could kill it but think of it this way:
Apple's updates have been pathetic. Not a single thing that really helps, or I would want or need.
Currently a restore will KEEP YOUR UNLOCK. Yeah. They'd have to do some wrangling to brick your unlocked phone.
Hackers of the iPhone will not give up. The door's been opened and it's sort of hard to let go now. All we will need is hacked updates, ala PSP and then Apple will calm down.

But on the flip side...
Please don't switch from AT&T because it's the l337 thing to do. Calculate the value and cost involved and then do it. The whole point is to save money!

19.99 internet plan is here:
http://t-mobile.com/shop/addons/ser...p=Svc_Tab_DataEmlSvcs&tsp=Svc_Sub_Smartphones

Just sign up with a voice plan only over the phone with tmobile and add in the internet plan yourself so you are 100% sure it's the right one. If you are having problems finding it in mytmobile ping me!

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
If you're worried about Apple bricking your phone, don't update. It's as simple as that.
i am sure if Apple really wants to fix the unlocking problem, they'll make it so you'll have to update or you cant sync your phone. we'll see .. but unlocking the phone means that Apple wont get that revenue from AT&T that they are getting from every subscriber.

they might not be able to, but i'm sure Apple knows people will do that. they may FORCE people to update in order to relock them .. but again i don't know if they have the means to do that.

rotero

Sep 24, 2007
i am sure if Apple really wants to fix the unlocking problem, they'll make it so you'll have to update or you cant sync your phone. we'll see .. but unlocking the phone means that Apple wont get that revenue from AT&T that they are getting from every subscriber.

they might not be able to, but i'm sure Apple knows people will do that. they may FORCE people to update in order to relock them .. but again i don't know if they have the means to do that.
If you don't update iTunes, you will always be able to sync your music. Once a new version of iTunes is released, with "relocking" capabilities, it will be reverse engineered just like the Sony PSP scene.

kortloff

Oct 11, 2007
Sorry if I missed this while searching the forums, but:

For those using T-Mobile, can you pls confirm if the interference issues (i.e. with desktop speakers, surround sound speakers, etc.) has gone away?
When I switched from (the old) AT&T to T-Mobile a few years ago, the interference problem I was experiencing stopped but having just switched back to AT&T, it's started again. I'm only a 1 week into the AT&T contract so I can unlock, switch back and secure my old T-Mobile plan. I understand both use GSM, but I believe T-Mobile's 1900 freq. results in less interference overall...just trying to confirm through user feedback, thanks.