Can the Apple Store Know If An iPhone Has Been Jailbroken?

IxSlam

Jul 11, 2011
So the other day I was kind of pressured by a mate to jailbreak my iPhone. Stupid I know. Right after I did It, It was laggy, unresponsive and I found it kind of glitchy so I used the 'Reset' feature in the settings and after about an hour, i noticed it was stuck on the Apple logo loop until It died. I can't put it into DFU mode or Restore mode. I've used both before so i knew what I was doing but to no avail.

So tomorrow I plan on going to the Apple store to see if I can get it fixed. I knew that jail breaking the iPhone voided the warranty so I'm wondering If they are able to know if its been Jail broken? I'm kind of worried I'd not be able to get it fixed because the phone didn't fully restore and is stuck on the loop.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
Yes they will Know if it has not been restored to stock. I have had a few problems with my phone, (its out of warranty now) but once you jailbreak you void the warranty on it and most Apple stores will not look at it for you.

What did you use to Jailbreak it with? What Firmware are you running and are you using a mac or windows?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm sure they can tell if a phone has ever been jailbroken, even if you restore it to factory settings, but it doesn't matter. If it's stuck at the boot logo and under warranty, they'll most likely still replace it. Try troubleshooting the restoring process first, though.

For future reference, never use the "Erase All Content and Settings" feature when jailbroken; it usually leads to it getting stuck at the boot logo. Just hit the restore button in iTunes (instead of resetting on the phone itself). It serves the same purpose.

I recommend that you keep trying to get it into DFU mode. It should restore just fine if you can get iTunes to recognize it. Try rebooting the computer first. If that doesn't work, try restoring on another computer.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I took my phone into the store with a cracked screen. It was still jailbroken. They still replaced the phone but warned me that they were not supposed to.

Your mileage may vary.

Jim

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
For future reference, never use the "Erase All Content and Settings" feature when jailbroken; it usually leads to it getting stuck at the boot logo. Just hit the restore button in iTunes (instead of resetting on the phone itself). It serves the same purpose.
Does this mean if you are using MobileMe and attempt to do a remote Erase in the event the phone is lost or stolen that it won't work?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No. It will work. It wouldn't matter if it got locked at the boot logo while remotely erasing the data. It would need to be restored before it could be used again.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
I'm sure they can tell if a phone has ever been jailbroken, even if you restore it to factory settings, but it doesn't matter. If it's stuck at the boot logo and under warranty, they'll most likely still replace it. Try troubleshooting the restoring process first, though.
How would they be able to tell if you restore to factory settings?

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
How would they be able to tell if you restore to factory settings?
yeah because I restored mine to stock and brought my 3GS in last year and they replaced it....i don't think they can tell if it has been JailBroken..............if you restore to stock

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm sure they can tell if they really wanted to know. I think it permanently changes some files that survive a restore to factory settings and mark it as a previously jailbroken device. However, like I said, it doesn't matter. They don't care or waste time looking that closely. I'm just saying that if they wanted to, they could. If you restore it to factory settings, you'll get a replacement. If it's jailbroken and stuck at the boot logo, you'll get a replacement. If the screen is cracked, you'll almost certainly get a free replacement (first occurrence).

They do this because their customer service is exceptional, not because they can't tell. They aren't going to refuse to replace a phone that is under warranty and stuck at the boot logo, regardless if it was jailbroken or not.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
If its stuck on Apple logo and they get it back up and running there and then, as long as you're on stock and there is no trace of your phone having been jailbroken they can't tell.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
I'm sure they can tell if they really wanted to know. I think it permanently changes some files that survive a restore to factory settings. However, like I said, it doesn't matter. They don't care and they waste time looking that closely. I'm just saying that if they wanted to, they could. If you restore it to factory settings, you'll get a replacement. If it's jailbroken and stuck at the boot logo, you'll get a replacement. If the screen is cracked, you'll almost certainly get a free replacement (first occurrence).

They do this because their customer service is exceptional, not because they can't tell. They aren't going to refuse to replace a phone that is under warranty and stuck at the boot logo, regardless if it was jailbroken or not.
+1 at what Mindi said.