Can the phone "develop" dead pixels?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Is it possible for the phone to develop dead pixels, later on?
I seem to have one on my screen, right about where the weather app is, on the main screen. SIGH
I got the phone on day 1, at an AT&T store, 'cause that's all that's around here. What are my chances, and should I even worry about it?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Update: iPhone is going to be repaired!

help me out here. What does a dead pixel look like? I seriously have no idea.
You'll know it when you see it.
Imagine a single spot in the screen that will not go away, no matter what you load on it. It's bright, usually.

Ok, talked with Apple, and they're gonna send me a temp. phone for the few days it takes them to repair mine (for 29.99$, of course), and they overnighted it to me. They said it will take from 3-5 businesss days for the phone to be fixed, and since i'm going into a weekend, I didn't wanna mess with the possibility of not having a phone. So, I guess I gotta spend more money, but at least I'm gonna get my screen fixed. :p

Gotta spend another 30$, right after spending 652 on the phone, but at least they're gonna take care of me.

chunter001

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I would call back and argue with them. There is another posting about a bad battery, that said they got the $30 waived b/c the phone was new.

LTownBrodown

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Landrum, South Carolina
You'll know it when you see it.
Imagine a single spot in the screen that will not go away, no matter what you load on it. It's bright, usually.

Ok, talked with Apple, and they're gonna send me a temp. phone for the few days it takes them to repair mine (for 29.99$, of course), and they overnighted it to me. They said it will take from 3-5 businesss days for the phone to be fixed, and since i'm going into a weekend, I didn't wanna mess with the possibility of not having a phone. So, I guess I gotta spend more money, but at least I'm gonna get my screen fixed. :p

Gotta spend another 30$, right after spending 652 on the phone, but at least they're gonna take care of me.
So they let you do this for just one dead pixel?

I have one right about he safari button... and one that you can hardly see on the top left corner.

so just 30 bucks? and the phone is overnighted? will everything on your phone be lost? will all the contacts work since you put in your sim card? im just wondering how it will work... will you have to reactivate it?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
So they let you do this for just one dead pixel?

I have one right about he safari button... and one that you can hardly see on the top left corner.

so just 30 bucks? and the phone is overnighted? will everything on your phone be lost? will all the contacts work since you put in your sim card? im just wondering how it will work... will you have to reactivate it?

Supposedly, I can just drop the sim in, and it works, according to the guy on the phone. I believe him. Just gotta re-sync all my tunes and pics and stuff.

LTownBrodown

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Landrum, South Carolina
so all you told them was that you have a dead pixel and they just said they would fix it for 30 and give you a replacement till its fix? i wonder if you can try to convince them not to charge you since you got the phone like that. it has a one year warranty

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
so all you told them was that you have a dead pixel and they just said they would fix it for 30 and give you a replacement till its fix? i wonder if you can try to convince them not to charge you since you got the phone like that. it has a one year warranty
I'm thinking of calling back, some time tomorrow....
I'm not *too* worried about the 30$, I'm more worried about whether or not they're going to actually fix a single pixel.

Austinsdc

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
If it's anything like their iPod service it will be fast. It only took 2 days for them to fix my daughters nano....blazing fast!

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
If it's anything like their iPod service it will be fast. It only took 2 days for them to fix my daughters nano....blazing fast!
They said it will take 3-5 businesss days from the time of receiving it.
I called again this morning, to confirm whether or not they will actually fix a SINGLE PIXEL. The guy says that there's a minimum number of pixels that must be met when servicing their laptops, but not the iPhone. Only one, and they'll fix it. That's re-assuring. :)

ccr78

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
They said it will take 3-5 businesss days from the time of receiving it.
I called again this morning, to confirm whether or not they will actually fix a SINGLE PIXEL. The guy says that there's a minimum number of pixels that must be met when servicing their laptops, but not the iPhone. Only one, and they'll fix it. That's re-assuring. :)
All they are going to do is replace your entire screen.

As far as loosing contacts and stuff... I think all of that is backed up to your computer when you sync, correct? So couldn't you just put your sim in the loaner iPhone and then plug the iPhone into your pc, sync, and then all your stuff would be there?

Can anyone confirm?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
All they are going to do is replace your entire screen.

As far as loosing contacts and stuff... I think all of that is backed up to your computer when you sync, correct? So couldn't you just put your sim in the loaner iPhone and then plug the iPhone into your pc, sync, and then all your stuff would be there?

Can anyone confirm?
That is exactly right. Too bad I got a boatload of music on there....gonna take a few minutes to sync. heehee
Also, if I wanna delete everything from the phone, before sending it off to them, what's the quickest route? Just de-select everything and then sync, or actually do a hard reset?

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Is it possible for the phone to develop dead pixels, later on?
I seem to have one on my screen, right about where the weather app is, on the main screen. SIGH
I got the phone on day 1, at an AT&T store, 'cause that's all that's around here. What are my chances, and should I even worry about it?
I had the same problem. I took it back to the Apple store and they gave me a new one. No charge, no hassle.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Was yours there from the start, or did it come a few days after you got it?
Unfortunately, no Apple stores near here. :(
I didn't notice it until two days later, but it was probably there from the beginning. Regardless, since it's under the glass, I know I did not cause it. I would not pay a dime to have this fixed. Can you take it to the AT&T store and ask them to replace it?