Can this be or is it coincidence?

xman

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
orlando,fl
I have been downloading apps using my iPhone 3G since the app store became available. I must have 60 apps that I enjoy.

Yesterday I got my 2nd att bill and it had a couple dozen text messages and related charges. I don't do texting and have no need at this time.

I called att and asked them to put a block on my texting so that I would no longer get charged....No problem.

The rep told me to reboot the iPhone when we were done and the block would take effect immediately.

Within 5 minutes of the reboot, I tried open my "zenbe" app in order to document what happened.

Surprise....click, and zenbe appears to try to open, then right back to home screen with the zenbe icon showing.

Weird..so I tried another app...same thing happened, in fact all of my apps did the same thing.

Called Applecare and they were attempting to troubleshoot ,,,and asked me to connect my iPhone to my imac to see if it would sync. It began a 5 hour back up and had to curtail my talk with Applecare until it finished.

Upon completion of long backup , the same thing occurred....but I did another sync and it backed up again but this time only lasted about 30 mins.

After this all apps were back and all working..

Oh by the way before calling Applecare , I had att unblock my texting...thinking that the block may have caused the problem. Even after they unblocked and I rebooted again,,,,same problem.

Applecare doesn't think blocking the texting had anything to do with the apps not functioning....but they don't know why it did happen.

Little scary

Paul

shawndre

Sep 16, 2007
dude that is a typical problem. do a hard reset and everything will work fine again. to do a hard reset hold the home button and the power button at the same time. hold it until the phone turns off. be sure to release the power button first. turn on the phone and it will all be fine.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
dude that is a typical problem. do a hard reset and everything will work fine again. to do a hard reset hold the home button and the power button at the same time. hold it until the phone turns off. be sure to release the power button first. turn on the phone and it will all be fine.
You are right, this happens to me all the time. The only thing is, a hard reset doesn't ever help......:(

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
does hard reseting the phone damage it "internally"?

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
haha, in my mind it does.
As does pulling the usb cable out even when its not syncing... so i click the little eject circle when i'm in iTunes next to the device display.

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
Wow, I definitely don't do that lol. I just take the iPhone off of the power unit and then unplug.

But seriously, what else can you do when an app crashes to the point that you can't do anything.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
paranoid i tell you. I keep thinking eventually it wont read my iPhone anymore. So i eject then disconnect it from the phone.

But yes, i would do a reset, or deselect them in the application sync so it clears them all (sadly, losing all data). Then reselect all then resync :) Takes ages and i probably wouldn't do it, but an alternative.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
oh, aren't we talking about clicking on app, attempts to open, back to home?
but i re-read... hmms.. "...to the point you can't do anything"
then the sum is home button + sleep/wake button = reset

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Okay, so back in the day I jailbroke my iPhone (v1) and I've been backing up from it, even into my iPhone 3g. I used a customize program and changed the wallpaper with it, and for some reason, even on my iPhone 3g it had the same background and I couldn't change it. So about 3 days ago I decided to just wipe the phone and start over.

Fixed the 3rd party problems perfect. It has also allowed me ot change my wallpaper again. I swear the thing is running faster too... go figure.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
clicking the eject button next to the device is a good idea before unplugging
it unmounts the phone so that no data is going to be traveling to it and possibly get corrupted
i learned that the hard way with a usb drive :(