can u use an iPhone as a modem to a computer

elgaucho

Jul 17, 2008
Hi,
Is it possible to make an iPhone as a modem to a computer?
Thanks

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Yes. With the v1 iPhone. It has to be jailbroken and have ssh installed.

Search this forum for 'tethering' and you will find instructions.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
it is very hard, i have been trying to figure it out for AWHILE and i know others who have had trouble as well, if you figure it out post it up, i don't have the time or energy.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I am hoping something will show up in the app store that allows you to tether you computer to the iPhone via Bluetooth.

rgarjr

Bronze
Nov 19, 2007
Although it would be nice, i don't know if the ISP companies would like having people getting free home pc internet service..

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I am hoping something will show up in the app store that allows you to tether you computer to the iPhone via Bluetooth.
That would be nice but not likely to happen through an app. That's why cell phone companies sell laptop connect cards that have a monthly fee.

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
I actually managed to do it with my v1 iPhone, albeit a little slow.

But I was using it on a 9 hour car ride, and I'd much rather have a slower connection with a big screen than a fast connection on a small screen.

I'll try to post how I did it a little later...Kind of hard since I sold it on craigslist and bought the 3g iPhone the other day...

deenybird

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Getting this to work would be a huge success!
I would love any info you can provide

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
I actually managed to do it with my v1 iPhone, albeit a little slow.

But I was using it on a 9 hour car ride, and I'd much rather have a slower connection with a big screen than a fast connection on a small screen.

I'll try to post how I did it a little later...Kind of hard since I sold it on craigslist and bought the 3g iPhone the other day...
yah man post it up, either that or if you could figure out how to do it on your 3g that would be awesome as well. hope to hear back from you soon!