Can we at least have one thread where we can bash and vent on Android

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
There are Android devices that are pricey also.
So what's your point? Consumers buy products based on decisions they've made, and when it's something under a thousand bucks, it's usually something they really do want. Sometimes people go for lower-end products because the higher-end ones they cannot afford, but I don't think that's true with the iPhone since, well, it's actually expensive for a smart phone, and so are some Android devices. Meaning I don't think someone who has, say, $600 bucks will say "Oh, you know what, I'm going to buy an iPhone because I can't afford an Android with a 6 inch screen", no way in hell, they'll buy the iPhone because they do want it.

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
So what's your point? Consumers buy products based on decisions they've made, and when it's something under a thousand bucks, it's usually something they really do want. Sometimes people go for lower-end products because the higher-end ones they cannot afford, but I don't think that's true with the iPhone since, well, it's actually expensive for a smart phone, and so are some Android devices. Meaning I don't think someone who has, say, $600 bucks will say "Oh, you know what, I'm going to buy an iPhone because I can't afford an Android with a 6 inch screen", no way in hell, they'll buy the iPhone because they do want it.
The point was that there are expensive Android devices also. And people that buy them actually WANT them. Kind of like you wanted the iPhone.

I can personally say that I didn't necessarily WANT the 4S but I have a 64 gig black one.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Well that doesn't make sense...
Remembering how many were looking for a new look and/or larger screen. For some then maybe the upgrade to the 4S was made grudgingly vs an enthusiastic WANT. Make sense?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Remembering how many were looking for a new look and/or larger screen. For some then maybe the upgrade to the 4S was made grudgingly vs an enthusiastic WANT. Make sense?

:D. I see where you're going there. Smart. :D

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009

Yes. I actually bought the S2 instead. I wasn't impressed with the 4S, and I still really am not. It's pretty much the same. Better camera is nice, but just up to speed with the industry. There is a discussion about sending videos via mms and why I took the S2 back. So I went from the 4 to the 4S because I WANT the 5...at least I think I do.

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Yes. I actually bought the S2 instead. I wasn't impressed with the 4S, and I still really am not. It's pretty much the same. Better camera is nice, but just up to speed with the industry. There is a discussion about sending videos via mms and why I took the S2 back. So I went from the 4 to the 4S because I WANT the 5...at least I think I do.
lO_Ol

Camitampa

Bronze
Apr 1, 2009
Tampa Fl
I find it too hard to believe that anyone would settle for a 300 dollar iPhone. I know many sprint and Verizon customers who settled for Android phones because that's what was available. Now, with free iPhones readily available and sprint and verizon choices this could change.

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas

No, that makes no sense. If he didn't want the phone he didn't HAVE to buy it. It was a choice to buy the phone or keep the old one. Or, wait another year for the next iPhone or every other week for the "new" Android.

If you bought the 4s, you wanted it. Period.

Now on the other hand, there is buyer remorse...

Verizon iPhone 4S using iCafe app

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
No, that makes no sense. If he didn't want the phone he didn't HAVE to buy it. It was a choice to buy the phone or keep the old one. Or, wait another year for the next iPhone or every other week for the "new" Android.

I guess we differ in how we define WANT. I think for you it's black & white, you do or don't 'want' something.

For others, myself included, 'want' can be a term of degrees. For example, "yeahhhh <with an air of hesitation and reluctance> I want it" and "OMG, I want it, right now" are both phrases that I see myself employing.

Reactions: JDem

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Oh come on, dude. If you want the phone, whatever "degree" that may be, you get it. If you don't want it, you get something else. Plain and simple.
no Tarek, it's not that simple. IP5 is going to explain why in a minute.

Reactions: iP5

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
I guess we differ in how we define WANT. I think for you it's black & white, you do or don't 'want' something.

For others, myself included, 'want' can be a term of degrees. For example, "yeahhhh <with an air of hesitation and reluctance> I want it" and "OMG, I want it, right now" are both phrases that I see myself employing.
Sounds like the rationale of my wife...

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Oh come on, dude. If you want the phone, whatever "degree" that may be, you get it. If you don't want it, you get something else. Plain and simple.
That's great, you've never had to settle. [door open for Android cracks, any takers :)]

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
[door open for Android cracks, any takers :)]
You actually enjoy this, don't you? Why are you trying so hard to entice us to talk about Android? We'd be much happier just discussing the platform we chose instead.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
You actually enjoy this, don't you? Why are you trying so hard to entice us to talk about Android? We'd be much happier just discussing the platform we chose instead.
I was backing up Muddy's comment about WANT, with my own thoughts, while making an effort to avoid Android in particular.

Thought my last quip was appropriate but left me open to cracks especially given the thread title.

I've promised not continue such dialogs in this thread, did you see how I was asking rom x to do the same earlier. Anyway figured the best way to deflate a crack to which I was bound to remain mute on was to point out the opportunity.

So on the contrary I was trying to dissuade vs entice.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This entire thread just perpetuates the iOS vs Android debate. I don't have any delusions that such discussion will ever fully disappear around here, but it's frustrating when it's the same half dozen folks who are drudging it up everywhere.

Sorry if I'm a negative nelly today, but I'm just tired of members with agendas.

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
I find it too hard to believe that anyone would settle for a 300 dollar iPhone. I know many sprint and Verizon customers who settled for Android phones because that's what was available. Now, with free iPhones readily available and sprint and verizon choices this could change.

I settled. For me it wasn't the issue of cost. I bought the original iPhone and I have not had to put out a penny out of my pocket since that first purchase. Every year I sell the last model for enough money to cover the cost of the new model iPhone. I have had them all.

If I kept my 4 until the 5 comes out, then the 4 would have been worth far less on the open, out of contract market, and most certainly not enough to cover the cost of the 5. So buying the biggest 4S makes strategic sense for me from a resell viewpoint.

I believe that the past iPhones have been the best for me, however after using both (and you would have to do it in order to formulate a factual viewpoint), I still believe that the S2 is a superior phone compared to the 4S. It was the MMS agreement that Apple has with ATT that brought me back to the 4S...not the actual phone.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
This entire thread just perpetuates the iOS vs Android debate. I don't have any delusions that such discussion will ever fully disappear around here, but it's frustrating when it's the same half dozen folks who are drudging it up everywhere.

Sorry if I'm a negative nelly today, but I'm just tired of members with agendas.
How about I leave this one simply at, no worries :)