Can we at least have one thread where we can bash and vent on Android

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
So buying the biggest 4S makes strategic sense for me from a resell viewpoint.
I totally understand buying iPhone's from a resale strategy.

I put my wife into an iPhone because it was the best device for her.
At the time I also picked up an iPhone4 on contract purely because it has both the best conversion rate (contract prce to resale price) and largest resale market. I've never ever debated that the iPhones as a specific device has the largest install base, bar non.

Actually I caught a ton of flack from my Berry/Android friends for supporting Apple. I pointed out to them that leveraging Apple's strengths to help finance my preference was effectively the opposite of such support.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Why must you profess an allegiance to a platform at all? It's just so middle school I can't wrap my head around it one bit.
Are you actually neutral?

You can imagine I've deleted/refrained my normally extensive comments due to the opening thread terms.

Was treading very closely to debating but until I present an opposing opinion...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Look, it's like this. If I were asked to defend my choice of smartphone platform, I could surely give you a long list of reasons why I've gone with the iPhone. It will be a completely different list of criteria than yours, and in fact everyone else's on the planet, because such a thing is a very personal and complicated decision. I guess my ability to defend my choice could be considered an "allegience" of sorts.

The difference between you and me is that I feel no need to defend my choice. Nor do I feel the need to sway anyone else into the decision I made, because again, it's a very personal decision. If asked, I'll explain why I lean the way I do, but I feel no need to put an Apple sticker on my forehead and go to war for them.

Android was around for a long time before the "war" became a real issue around here. Before a few personalities showed up in the past year, we actually used to talk about iPhone issues here. Now we can't without a handful of people spoiling the pot with off-topic trolling. It's frustrating and it's driven away many long-standing members and perhaps a moderator or two. If you can't see how non-conducive such behavior is to a healthy forum, then no amount of explainin' on my part is going to help.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I like Android. It reminds me of the good old days of PCs... rebooting, crashing, and having to reinstall every couple of months because suddenly the OS stopped starting up. ;)

Reactions: Bennyboy

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
The difference between you and me is that I feel no need to defend my choice. Nor do I feel the need to sway anyone else into the decision I made, because again, it's a very personal decision. If asked, I'll explain why I lean the way I do, but I feel no need to put an Apple sticker on my forehead and go to war for them.
Feel the same way

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
I like Android. It reminds me of the good old days of PCs... rebooting, crashing, and having to reinstall every couple of months because suddenly the OS stopped starting up. ;)
Have you read any posts here? Any iPhone problem is met with, reboot, reset, restore, re-sync.

Kind of the same thing.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
[see above]...
Some people, not you, like to trash.
Some sometimes flip, though yes, most come back.
Some are actually neutral and just want the best fit.

I try, try, try to limit myself to replies and only where there is an arguably valid counter point.
Where the remark is bang on (battery, especially for say the EVO) I've not said anything to the contrary.
Absolutely, I spoil it for those that just want to get away with myths/misinformation/out of date material. I think someone should and when they do, they should do it accurately and from current info.

I think this is the first thread I've started that has a VS theme and it was inspired by what I felt was a growing mood. And in this thread I'm making every effort not to defend a platform, in fact make room for any type of trash.

Is eiC intended for only one type of iOS consumer or a spectrum?
If a VS comment never came up then I'd never touch the topic.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Have you read any posts here? Any iPhone problem is met with, reboot, reset, restore, re-sync.

Kind of the same thing.
Of course. Every computer has to do such things, and I've done it plenty of times on iPhones. I'm just not used to having to do it as much as I do on Android. That, and this is an Android bashing thread, is it not? :p

I am an equal opportunity hater and have more than enough rage stored up about iTunes and iPhones and Macs to fill an Apple ranting thread so full it crashes the server. But I bet Chris wouldn't like that. ;)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Feel the same way
lol, ok...

Is eiC intended for only one type of iOS consumer or a spectrum?
If a VS comment never came up then I'd never touch the topic.
If you guys only brought up Android when it was addressed in the original topic of each thread, we would not be having this "debate" right now. But mentioning Android doesn't seem to be a requirement for you to divert the topic there. It's absolutely infested the forums.

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
The problem is that Android users, and I guess you?, think that just because we stick to iPhones and like the platform, it means we automatically hate and want to "bash and vent" on Android. The only reason I posted some funny pictures about Android, and I assure you that's how most people feel, doesn't mean I hate Android but I just found them funny. I can also assure you that if there was a "vent on Apple" thread, I'd have dug up some funny stuff and posted them, too.

As Dave said, it's not really a war and no one's sticking any logos on their foreheads. These are two platforms that are, well, competing NOT as to which one is the best, but which one sells more. Do you really think Tim Cook wants to have the "better phone" but sell less than Android ones? In businesss, the number of sales is what determines which one is more successful than the other, but I am sure you already know that.

If you had been here since, say, 2008, you'd know that all we Apple "fanboys" or whatever actually discussed issues with Apple and the iPhone daily, if not by the hour. I myself was frustrated with my very first iPhone because iOS back then was less than half of what it is today, and I know that not having MMS or a flash in your camera did frustrate a lot of people, too, but Apple worked on that and improved their most-selling and probably most successful device and now look at it! I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't for us and for other forums dedicated to Apple, and for the good people who send in suggestions and recommendations, the iPhone wouldn't be what it is today, one of, if not the, most selling devices in history.

So after all, iP5, I believe this thread was unnecessary to begin with. I'm not sure, but I heard you're a regular poster at EverythingDroid, so why open up a thread like this in the first place? Why not open up a thread at Droid titled "Can we at least have one thread where we can bash and vent on Apple/iOS?"

You clearly stated in your first post that "I for one promise not to debate, correct, poke, argue or troll any remarks in this thread" and you have broken that promise, which renders this thread pointless and unnecessary, and will eventually probably be locked after some one gets banned.

Just my two cents.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
[see above]
backup. I didn't break the terms of this thread. read things clearly.

"I promised not to debate, correct, poke, argue, troll any bashing/venting on Android."
The entire sentence defines my commitment. Don't cherry pick things such as debating anything OUTSIDE of Android. That is open game.

My Post #48, asking rom x to follow the thread terms about not debating, defending Android

My Post #65, here's where I did get drawn into a defense of MuddyPaw's comment that he didn't really WANT the iPhone. I agreed that his comment could actually make sense. His comment wasn't a bash or vent on Android. As far as I could tell, owning the 4S and his decision to own it had nothing to do with Android and so was open to comment.

Your Post #66, you finally understood what my take on MP's comment was.

At that point, had I broken the thread terms? I think not.

My Post #71, still talking about the whole definition of WANT. Not debating anything about Android.

My Post #76, again about WANT. pointed out that inferring I settled is a great opening for an Android crack.

Post #77, psylichon starts on me personally, that I was trying to entice a convo about Android

My Post #78, explained that I was actually trying to avoid being the direct butt of an Android crack anticipating that even if one were made that I would take it without debate, reply, defense.

My Post #81, actually had to delete my original response because I was getting snarky. so tried to back out of the whole convo with "no worries"

My Post #82, reply to buying iPhones from a resale strategy, again nothing to do with Android.

My Post #84, reflecting back psylichon's question about allegiance, deleted everying that would have been a thread voilation.

My Post #89, in reply to psylichon going at me personally, I tried to reply/contextualize my behavior here without actually defending Android. still haven't voilated thread terms.

My Post #92, I wanted to point out that for the most part, if not always, I only defend Android after someone else cracks on it, but trying to stay on the thread terms is say "mums" playing on the phrase "mums the word".

And now we have this post.

First off, you aren't someone that I've ever "debated" with, are you?

Second, again, I started this thread because a week ago I felt I was being drawn into these iOS v Android topics and thought how about making a place where people can bash all they like and those of us on the not so iOS fan end can just ignore.

Third, the eA forums just doesn't have the subscribership where I see people bashing in on iOS, so an opposite free for all thread there, as you suggest just doesn't make any sense.

Finally, there are people here that like to troll, bash and submit junk claims. I don't know what happened in the past but yes, I personally try to offer dissenting but accurate rebuttal. I think now, there's a spectrum in the readers here and for those that are neutral, would like to be informed about other platforms, or like iPhone's but also have issues with Apple, I personally want to at least keep things accurate and current.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
You clearly stated in your first post that "I for one promise not to debate, correct, poke, argue or troll any remarks that bash/vent on Android in this thread" and you have broken that promise, which renders this thread pointless
I've made a concerted effort not to break my thread promise. Please, cite and explain where have I broken this pact.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
It totally sucks when someone asks me to show them something and my freakin beta ROM crashes. I mean, how bloody embarrassing :)

If ICS doesn't get this right I'm jumping the fence.