Can we change the phone # format?

apercele79

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
in the US the phone number is in the following format (xxx) xxx-xxxx

im entering all my european contacts for when i go to europe...can we have 4 digits in the parentheses instead of 3?

for example (xxxx) xxx - xxx

looking at european numbers in a US format throws me off big time, thats like reading a US number (4165) 55 - 12 - 12 instead of the regular (416) 555 - 1212

apercele79

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
i will take it as a big fat NO, since there are no replies in a while...:laugh2:

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I don't think it matters. Give it a shot.

apercele79

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
thanks for the inputs fellas, i'm getting the feeling you just cannot change the number format...it is what it is...:laugh2:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
thanks for the inputs fellas, i'm getting the feeling you just cannot change the number format...it is what it is...:laugh2:
The phone was originall designed and built for a US-only market. I would not be surprised if it were impossible.

astro2

Apr 29, 2009
it is possible

it IS possible, those that say it can't need to do more research.

you can hack it or if you have little knowledge on following tutes in hacking (which is easy even with no hacking knowledge i.e SSH into iPhone and alter files), if you have a jailbroken iPhone you can download a tweak on cydia and the phone format.

It can detect which country your in and alter the phone format.

I know because I was in the same boat, I have a australian iPhone 3g and just found out I have an american 3gs (i bought both on ebay)

to fix the 3gs I downloaded the tweak and now it looks like an australian phone number format

Now all I need now iis a tweak for date format, i hate the stupid american month/day/year
i prefer the aussie day/month/year

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
I wonder why you can't change the formats. I can change mine to any region from settings>general>international on my iPhone 4 os4.2.1