Can we please stop calling the 6th gen iPhone the iPhone 5? It should be called iPhone 6 or 4G.

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by SmartAlx, Jan 19, 2012.

1. SmartAlx

SmartAlx Zealot
    Gold

Why does everyone call the next gen iPhone the iPhone 5? Why should the 6th gen iPhone be called the iPhone 5? Yes, I'm upset about this 4s iPhone not being the iPhone 5 , but Apple didn't call the second generation iPhone the iPhone 2, and they didn't call the third the iPhone 3. The iPhone 4 is called the iPhone 4 not because 3s + 1 = 4. They called it the iPhone 4 because it's the freaking forth generation iPhone! That means the 4s is the 5th generation and the next iPhone will be the 6th generation. Calling it the iPhone 5 would be a rip off and totally inaccurate.

Yes, Apple didn't give us a V1s and they didn't give us an iPhone 2, but they do seem to be staying consistent with their upgrading and naming conventions now.

I know that this might seem trivial and semantic to some of you but it's freaking important for people to understand that the next gen iPhone is NOT the fifth! It's the sixth!

The longer people keep calling this thing the iPhone 5 the more likely Apple is to succumb to market pressure and give them what they want, even though they should call it the iPhone 6 or the iPhone 4G (since it's likely going to have 4G connectivity).

Who's with me! Let's demand an iPhone 4G, not an iPhone 5!

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Another country heard from. I am assuming you are the official iPhone namer for Apple?
    Oh your not? Darn
    I think until Apple tells us that there will be a other iPhone and what it is called people can and will call it whatever they want.

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

iPhone4G, after the 4S? Why not iPhoneK?

4. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

The next iPhone will be called the iPhone 5. Put this post in your signature so you don't forget I said it.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Some people refer to the upcoming sixth generation iPhone as the iPhone 5 because the rumors and predictions for the iPhone 4S were that it was going to be called the iPhone 5. When people found out the 4S was going to look exactly like the iPhone 4 and not have a larger screen, they assumed the next phone, the real upgrade they were waiting for, would be called the iPhone 5. Many even thought it would be released sooner than a year after the 4S (like a month or two later).

It's unlikely that Apple would call the next iPhone the iPhone 5. It's illogical if you put any thought into it. The only reasons to assign a number to the phone are as follows:

1. If it corresponds with the generation (which would be 6).
    2. If it corresponds with the network (which would be 3G or 4G).
    3. If it looks like a previous phone that was named after a generation. They then add an extra letter to differentiate it from the previous phone. If the sixth phone looks like the 4 and 4S, it would be more likely that it would be called the 4X (or something like that) than the 5.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

This could have been answered in one sentence...

The next iPhone will be called whatever Apple wants to call it. Simples.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Nope. That doesn't answer the questions that the OP asked. I answered them with a lot sentences. It's complicated... :D

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Nah, I stick by my evaluation. I couldn't care what Apple call the next iPhone. I don't think it matters :)

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The real question is... Would you buy the next iPhone if it only came in pink?

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

10. SmartAlx

SmartAlx Zealot
    Gold

Yes Europa, that is why people call it the iPhone 5. BOY how I pray to God that Apple calls it the iPhone 6. LOLOLOL. People are going to be freaking crazy upset!

"What happened to the 5?"

The thing is, Apple isn't stupid. And it's got a new leader. We don't know how he's going to react to market pressure. If people think it should be called 5, he might be the sort of person to give it to them so he can save the 6 for another year.

But that would screw the naming conventions up for the future.

11. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Just because you said please ..........?

12. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

People gonna be upset if they call it iPhone6? Why would it matter what it's called? They can move away of the all iPhone name too, I could care less ( :D ) it's what's under the hood that I care about.

13. psylichon

psylichon Genius

The amount of concern you have over the device's name is... um... concerning.

14. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

yes! Waiting patiently! LOL j/k

15. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

No. :)

16. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Exactly my point :)

17. SmartAlx

SmartAlx Zealot
    Gold

Semantics matter.

18. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Maybe it won't even contain a number.
    Didn't we have an official ruling that until Apple announces it we were going to call it "the next iPhone"?

19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Motion passed.

'Next iPhone' - sounds good to me.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I agree that referring to it as the next iPhone is the best option at this point, but even the media is calling it the iPhone 5 and this reinforces it for people.

I don't care what they call it either. I was just answering the questions and shinning some light on why an unlikely name choice for the next iPhone has taken hold. Every name we have used to refer to the next iPhone in the past has been wrong, and this one is no exception. The chance of Apple calling it iPhone 5 is slim to none. iPhone 6...maybe.