Can we please stop calling the 6th gen iPhone the iPhone 5? It should be called iPhone 6 or 4G.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Wouldn't that make it the iPhone 5.00274.
Rounding up to the nearest 100 thousandth place.
Yes, but the additional advertising space that would take would be so expensive. But like you said, we only have until December 21st anyway. Hahha

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Been lurking about. In fact, didn't realize how long it had been since I posted until I looked at my stats. Lotta times I'd be reading without signing in.
ImageUploadedByiCafe1327317728.862204.jpg

It has been quite a while since we saw you. Nice you decided to come out of the shadows & post :D

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Interesting. I've never used DiskAid before so I installed it to see what was what. Sure enough, mine says the same thing!

Screen Shot 2012-01-23 at 7.10.09 AM.png

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I agree with Mac.

If the next iPhone were to be named anything other than, 'iPhone' then surely it would be the iPhone 5 and not the iPhone 6. The next number would be... 5! If Apple jumped to 6 it wouldn't make sense, IMO.
Why? There wasn't an iPhone 2 nor an iPhone 2G.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
There is no way in hell they're calling it the 5. It's not the 5th iPhone. Why are people still debating. Sure Samsung might create such a misnomer, by Apple will not.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
The original iPhone is also called the 2G. The 3G followed that.
No. It wasn't. Apple doesn't refer to the original iPhone (inaccurately) as the 2G. The public does. And I saw it coming. I posted a poll about it waaay back then worried about it and PEOPLE ASSURED ME that it was not going to be referred to as the 2G because it doesn't use 2G technology. (Edge is 2.5G, not 2G.). Do you not remember this poll Napoleon? Pretty sure you were there.

Hmm.… Seems eic lost my poll somehow. I found this one posted by someone else on macrumors though.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=531535

By the way, sorry for reviving this old thread. I haven't been here for awhile.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No. It wasn't. Apple doesn't refer to the original iPhone (inaccurately) as the 2G. The public does. And I saw it coming. I posted a poll about it waaay back then worried about it and PEOPLE ASSURED ME that it was not going to be referred to as the 2G because it doesn't use 2G technology. (Edge is 2.5G, not 2G.). Do you not remember this poll Napoleon? Pretty sure you were there.

Hmm.… Seems eic lost my poll somehow. I found this one posted by someone else on macrumors though.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=531535

By the way, sorry for reviving this old thread. I haven't been here for awhile.
You are correct. The original iPhone was simply called 'iPhone'. People referred to it as the original iPhone, the 2G and the V1 after the iPhone 3G was announced, but Apple didn't give it any of those names - we did.

Napoleon's post was a little unclear, but he just told me that he meant that the users called it the 2G, not Apple.