Can we slow it down a second.

Phxblue

Bronze
Apr 13, 2008
The Valley, AZ
What the heck is going on? The internet is flooded with AT&T bashing now that the 3GS has been announced. I am trying to figure out what the accelerant is that sparked this flame war because its got my head spinnin.

Is it because of AT&T's mms debacle?

Is it the tethering problem?

Has their cell coverage been THAT exceptionally terrible?

Or is it all of the above? If all of the above why then has it flared up so intensely today? Is anyone here having a good experience with AT&T? I'm not talking customer care I'm talking signal coverage and 3G speed.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The spark is people realizing they're still being subsidized and aren't eligible to update. Once that hits, all the other complaints come out of the woodwork.

I agree that not having their MMS and tethering game together at this point is ridiculous, but the other complaints I think will subside as people come to grips with their account situation.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
For me my only problem is that I want to upgrade but they are going to make me wait till April for a discount or buy the 3GS for $599/699 which is ridiculous.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
For me my only problem is that I want to upgrade but they are going to make me wait till April for a discount or buy the 3GS for $599/699 which is ridiculous.
So you entered a contract that requires it to be subsidized for you to get that cheap phone price and only want to pay half of the subsidy. They will not allow that to happen and you think that is ridiculous? Do you want them to just eat the remaining money owed on your current 3G?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's MMS, it's tethering, it's upgrade eligibility and the feeling of being suckered out of the subsidized pricing, it's the lack of Telegram support from a company with Telegraph in their name.

People have been waiting for their damn picture messages for 2 years, now the capability is finally there, and AT&T is hanging those pictures over their heads like carrots.

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
It's MMS, it's tethering, it's upgrade eligibility and the feeling of being suckered out of the subsidized pricing, it's the lack of Telegram support from a company with Telegraph in their name.

People have been waiting for their damn picture messages for 2 years, now the capability is finally there, and AT&T is hanging those pictures over their heads like carrots.
Exactly, summed up pretty good right here. AT&T is doing what it does best, being a cell service provider... which we all know suck across the board. I think sometimes as tech geeks we're conditioned to be disappointed in regards to things like this.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007

Please explain how you are being suckered out of the subsidized price?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i will not be happy until i have singing telegrams and candygrams.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I can't even imagine what sort of technical holdup AT&T could be having to prevent MMS or tethering. My biggest hope is they are still hammering out some plan rate adjustments (in the negative direction) which is the cause for all this...

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
AT&T is a big enough company to take a hit. After all the iPhone is still just a Wireless branch off. At&T has other modes of vast income.

The accelerant that has started this hate against AT&T is the fact that If you currently have a 2yr contract from the 3G you have to pay almost full retail for a 3GS if you are upgrading. I think its 499 and 599 USD. The only way to get the 3GS for the 199 and 299 is to be a new customer to AT&T.

Not to mention no one knows if AT&T will up the monthly bill like they did for the 3g.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Why not strippergrams. I can't believe Apple didn't include strippers with my PHONE...those cheating SOB's

Phxblue

Bronze
Apr 13, 2008
The Valley, AZ
Is it possible to think that they just threw late summer out there to cover their butts in time frame and will actually have it up and running by the 17th since everyone is saying that its an easy fix? Can anyone from Arizona chime in here and tell me how your coverage has been? I only know one person on AT&T here and he says its been fine for him.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
AT&T is a big enough company to take a hit. After all the iPhone is still just a Wireless branch off. At&T has other modes of vast income.

The accelerant that has started this hate against AT&T is the fact that If you currently have a 2yr contract from the 3G you have to pay almost full retail for a 3GS if you are upgrading. I think its 499 and 599 USD. The only way to get the 3GS for the 199 and 299 is to be a new customer to AT&T.

Not to mention no one knows if AT&T will up the monthly bill like they did for the 3g.
Ummm no, you wait until the 2 year contract is up and you get the "special price". Do people really not understand how a subsidized product works?

Haha, they are big enough to take a hit. If you were a share holder you would not want them to take a hit. The point of the company is to make money...not make you feel warm and fuzzy.

2white2fight

Bronze
Mar 31, 2009
925 the bay

wait so if you can upgrade and your an existing att customer its still 499/599? if that is thats so not worth it, att is garbage!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Please explain how you are being suckered out of the subsidized price?
I don't have any problem with it at all. I got it last year so I'm not eligible. I accepted this fact months ago. I already preordered and forked it over. I'm just saying tons of people here feel like they should get it every year...I'm not one of them. I understand the rationale behind it and how AT&T needs to recoup their money (from the subsided phones) with the monthly service plans and one year isn't enough to do that on a one line minimal minutes plan.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I don't have any problem with it at all. I got it last year so I'm not eligible. I accepted this fact months ago. I already preordered and forked it over. I'm just saying tons of people here feel like they should get it every year...I'm not one of them. I understand the rationale behind it and how AT&T needs to recoup their money (from the subsided phones) with the monthly service plans and one year isn't enough to do that on a one line minimal minutes plan.
Europa, I am glad you understand how it works...so many want the new and shiny but don't want to finish paying off what they owe on the "rented" phone.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Well then why don't you correct us all...and lose the condescending tone while you're at it.