Can you add AVI files to the iPad?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
The app cinexplayer is what I use. It works fairly well. There's probably others but this was the first one I tried and I was happy with it.

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app

DarkRaven

Jan 19, 2012
I've just started using an app called Air Video which not only let's you connect to your PC/Mac via WiFi and play all your .avi files but also convert them ready for storage & playing on your iPad :) Had no issues with it thus far and is very easy to use.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I've just started using an app called Air Video which not only let's you connect to your PC/Mac via WiFi and play all your .avi files but also concerts them ready for storage & playing on your iPad :) Had no issues with it thus far and is very easy to use.
Air Playit does similar, but is free. Works very well. Can be used over 3G as well--or on a remote wifi network.

Michael

DarkRaven

Jan 19, 2012
Yeah used to use Air-PlayIt but it just kept reporting that I had reached my max folder size for converted movies when I hadn't, also kept crashing... This however looks very similar, does exactly the same job but all without crashing - hence the reason for moving from Air-PlayIt :)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yeah used to use Air-PlayIt but it just kept reporting that I had reached my max folder size for converted movies when I hadn't, also kept crashing... This however looks very similar, does exactly the same job but all without crashing - hence the reason for moving from Air-PlayIt :)
Air PlayIt's latest update solved all problems for me. Now it works so well that I have deleted AirPlay on my iOS devices and uninstalled the server part.

I had been used ZumoCast but that app is MIA for some time now (well, I think I know why).

Either way I prefer a streaming solution, with the option to download or convert if I want something locally.

I tried the Playable app mentioned above but deleted it before loading a single video. It lost me at "use iTunes to load your videos." Ugh. No way.

I only wish there was an app that could do what XBMC does: read my DVD ISO rips (and just about any other media file I throw at it) and play them (via WiFi of course) all without needing a helper app. I have it on my jailbroken iPad 1, iPhone 4S, and Apple TV. But not on my iPad 3 yet. :(

Michael

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have the VLC app, but that got pulled shortly after it was released over a year ago so it's not available for download anymore. I mainly use Air Video. It does live conversion of various file types as it streams videos. It was probably the best three bucks I've ever spent in the App Store. It worked flawlessly on 4.x. It's a wee-bit buggy on 5.x, but still a very, very nice app.

DarkRaven

Jan 19, 2012
I tried the VLC Streamer app and it worked well enough at the time but I did used to get the odd jumpy video or strangely a green screen with audio... Also didn't particularly like the GUI.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I tried the VLC Streamer app and it worked well enough at the time but I did used to get the odd jumpy video or strangely a green screen with audio... Also didn't particularly like the GUI.
I didn't mean the streamer app. I'm talking about the VLC Media Player app that was released in October 2010 and pulled from the App Store the following month. You can add .avi and other file types to the app in iTunes.

DarkRaven

Jan 19, 2012
I know :) was just saying I also tried the streaming app since it was also related to my initial post ;)

As for the fabled VNC app, I remember installing it ages ago before it got pulled - I'm guessing it won't be listed in my purchased items?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I know :) was just saying I also tried the streaming app since it was also related to my initial post ;)

As for the fabled VNC app, I remember installing it ages ago before it got pulled - I'm guessing it won't be listed in my purchased items?
It should still be in your iTunes library on your computer even if you deleted it from your phone. Just check the box next to it and sync it back on.

Screen Shot 2012-03-18 at 6.49.30 PM.png