Can You Go A Week Without Your iPhone

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
When I went to Europe over the summer before the firmware update to allow for you to turn the data roaming off I switched the SIM out with my old KRZR and took that with me. I was without the iPhone for about 2.5 weeks. The last time I went I turned data roaming off and took the iPhone with me. Don't want to be that long without it again.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
why would you want to take your AT&T SIM to Europe? you should have unlocked it and then used a prepaid or whatever..

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I just signed up for the international voice plan for $6 a month on AT&T which means there is a reduced per minute price while overseas. It was only something like $0.99 a minute. I actually used a European SIM once when I went to Europe and the bill was actually greater than when I just used AT&T.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I've basically done without mine for the last week. I've got service, but I don't think I've made a call on it since I got to Florida last Friday night.

bry279

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
I probably couldnt even do one day

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
i'm going to Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand next month for ten days and thinking if i should take it with me or leave it home. i don't think AT&T has service in these countries. anyone know?

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
No, I don't. Is this trip businesss related or for pleasure? I'm envious, but then again I'm looking forward to it, as I know we'll have some fantastic pics when you return! :laugh2:

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
it's businesss but that doesn't mean i wont enjoy myself. i'll be in the fields for much of the trip so im hoping to put the fisheye to the test. im thinking to take the phone but leave it in airplane mode the whole time. as the OP was implying, its difficult to go without it.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Assuming I had the use of my old Razr and was not 'without phone' I'm sure could. If I was going to be in a dangerous environment (for the phone) I'd much rather risk an old Razr or even my 'new in the box' 3G Razr.

Maybe I'd take the phone along and leave it in a hotel safe so I could check e-mail etc later. I still have an old iPod Mini for throwing around as a back up for music/podcasts.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
it's businesss but that doesn't mean i wont enjoy myself. i'll be in the fields for much of the trip so im hoping to put the fisheye to the test. im thinking to take the phone but leave it in airplane mode the whole time. as the OP was implying, its difficult to go without it.
Well, we'll miss harassing you on the board while you're gone, but I'm sure the spoils will (almost) be worth it!

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
I just read an article in Laptop magazine about device addiction(guilty here) and it said that in some people it releases like in sex.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I didn't get my iPhone until a month after it came out. During that month, all the (positive) reviews stated that the author could not imagine life before the iPhone. I just thought 'How? It's a cellphone.' Now, I agree with them.

- John

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, a week should be no problem, I've got a pretty sweet weekend warrior setup that I was using before the iPhone that served me well. Anything longer than a week would start to get annoying however, I hate carrying a bag and thats what the iPhone got me away from, carrying multiple devices.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I guess I could, but why would I try? I need my little calendar reminders. I guess I could drag around my MacBook or a written calendar. I also do not have a land line, so having no phone would suck. I guess I could dig up an old razr. And how would I take pictures? I guess I could take my kodac easy shot thing. And how would I surf the net and check out EIC while my husband drives us to work? It would be a PIA, I tell you, torture, even!

bry279

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
I just read an article in Laptop magazine about device addiction(guilty here) and it said that in some people it releases like in sex.
Just read the same article.
I admit to using the iPhone a lot
but its never gotten THAT serious