Can you not purchase a 3G iPhone if your account is linked to a FAN?

noah82

Bronze
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
I was all excited to go and line up on Friday morning to get my new 3G iPhone, but then I noticed an interesting excerpt from ATT's launch procedures. They read:

"Current and new iPhone users who now receive or will receive service under a corporate account and wish to purchase iPhone 3G need to contact AT&T directly," the company added. "Also, if you want your Phone to access your businesss email account, check with your IT manager first."

I am not sure what ATT's definition of a corporate account is. I opened the account under my personal name and I pay the bill, but I linked my account to the San Diego State University FAN (Foundation Account Number) so that I would receive a discount on my plan. Obviously I do not receive one now with the 1st gen. iPhone, but I am supposedly going to receive a discount with the 3G.

I work within walking distance from an Apple store, so ideally I would like to purchase it from there and walk to work on Friday, but I don't want to spend an hour or two in line just for them to tell me that they are not able to sell it to me. Any help is appreciated!

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
You'll be fine. If you're paying for it and your company is reimbursing you, that's not something that AT&T needs to get in the middle of.

If you want it to hook into your company's Exchange server, that's where you'll have to contact your IT department to see if they're going to allow that. The last I checked, my company still hadn't decided if it was going to allow iPhones to tap into our Exchange server, although everyone and their mom has a BlackBerry with corporate e-mail on it.

noah82

Bronze
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
Funny that you should mention it because I am my company's IT Department and you can be sure that I am going to let my new 3G iPhone connect to our Exchange server! :)

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I think you should be fine to buy your new phone at the Apple store. You'll probably need to either call or walk in to an AT&T store to deal with reinstating the discount on your bill, but that doesn't need to happen on Friday morning.

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
I was all excited to go and line up on Friday morning to get my new 3G iPhone, but then I noticed an interesting excerpt from ATT's launch procedures. They read:

"Current and new iPhone users who now receive or will receive service under a corporate account and wish to purchase iPhone 3G need to contact AT&T directly," the company added. "Also, if you want your Phone to access your businesss email account, check with your IT manager first."

I am not sure what ATT's definition of a corporate account is. I opened the account under my personal name and I pay the bill, but I linked my account to the San Diego State University FAN (Foundation Account Number) so that I would receive a discount on my plan. Obviously I do not receive one now with the 1st gen. iPhone, but I am supposedly going to receive a discount with the 3G.

I work within walking distance from an Apple store, so ideally I would like to purchase it from there and walk to work on Friday, but I don't want to spend an hour or two in line just for them to tell me that they are not able to sell it to me. Any help is appreciated!
I guess by corporate account they meant the corporate data plan which is $45 per month and FAN thingy is somewhat different.
Hope you should be fine

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i'm in the same situation (i have a FAN corporate discount applied to my AT&T service), but it's a personal account, not for businesss use (not paid for in any way by my company). i interpret that section on Apple's site to be targeted at businesss user's whose company's supply their cell phones and service (in the same way my company procured my blackberry for me and pays for the service directly). i'm going to an Apple store to get my 3G iPhone that will be on my personal account...

noah82

Bronze
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
Well even though my company reimburses me for my cell phone bill, the entire account is paid by me, so ATT shouldn't need to get involved. The only difference is that hopefully I will be getting a discount on my monthly bill with the 3G.

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
You should be fine! I already have my account setup with my fan number. Since im doing a family move i called last week and setup the account and added my wife and son's phone. I told the csr that we need 2 more sim card for the iPhone on friday. They shipped everything and my account is set with my corp discount.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado

im pretty sure you can seeing how you pay normally and on your own, i would be shocked if they didn't sell one to you