Can you reserve the iPhone 5 for in-store pickup

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by dinosaur1, Sep 16, 2012.

1. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

I'm trying to figure out where to go to pick up 2 iPhone 5's. I have one being shipped to my home. I know that the Apple store is my best bet, but the wait time will be horrible unless I show up very, very early. What are my chances at an AT&T store? Should I call a day ahead and ask how much stock they plan on having, would they know? In recent years AT&T store have had very little stock which is why I'm asking.

2. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

At this point in the game, your only hope is standing in line. I've talked to most retailers and all preorders have long been exhausted. Sure, they'll let you preorder but they won't guarantee a launch day iPhone. After speaking with my local AT&T store, they said the line starts forming an hour or two before opening. I'll be there 3 hours early and hope for the best!

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You should be able to get one at an AT&T location if you show up on launch day (before the store opens, but not necessarily camping out the whole night), but you will have to decide wisely what time to show up at... you know your area best. Pre-ordering will not work, not for the 21st, anyways--the three major carriers have all exhausted their pre-order inventories. It cannot hurt to call a day ahead and ask about planned inventory. And you're trying to pick up two of them? You may wanna mention that, to make sure they'll even let you do that.

4. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

I have an AT&T retail store close to me.. It's a very small AT&T store thought and I doubt that they will have a lot of stock. Should I shoot for the bigger AT&T retail stores instead? I also have an Apple store further away. and had great luck with the Apple store, but security usually kicks people out unless your there an hour before.

5. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

Good idea, it may be 1 per person. I am the main person on my 4 line account so I don't think anyone else can go pick one up with me unless I'm there correct?

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Although I don't know for a fact, that sounds about right.

Is Best Buy an option for you, as a fallback plan, in case AT&T only lets you get one? This one article stated that "Best Buy isn't taking orders for the iPhone 5 online before its Sept 21 launch, but customers can go into a Best Buy location to pre-pay for the device and return to pick it up on launch day." I hope you have the day off--seems like you're going to have a busy morning that day.

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread Pre-fix added.