Can you save maps?

jen

May 13, 2007
I think one of the features i would use most are the google maps, since i get lost consantly. i wonder if you can save a few maps (for me, say a map of boston) on the iPhone harddrive so I can access it even when I'm not near wifi.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I think one of the features i would use most are the google maps, since i get lost consantly. i wonder if you can save a few maps (for me, say a map of boston) on the iPhone harddrive so I can access it even when I'm not near wifi.
Hi Jen and welcome, you can set up "Favorite" search locations within Google maps, once you select one of your favorite locations, your map will load.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I wonder if you could save directions with the maps. ala mapquest has turn description as well as show you your path.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I wonder if you could save directions with the maps. ala mapquest has turn description as well as show you your path.

Google maps does show turn by turn directions, but I don't think you can "save" them, but then again the version of Google maps I use on my Blackberry is not the same one as seen in the Keynote so maybe this will change.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I hope that loading the maps up over EDGE isn't as slow as the dickens:(
I don't think it will be. I imagine the data it is transmitting will be very small and that they're doing some efficient things with that widget.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Google maps does show turn by turn directions, but I don't think you can "save" them
"Save" meaning... as a printout? Screen capture? Weblink? All three are possible. I'm sure the iPhone will have cache, so if you leave for a trip (where you won't have wifi or edge) just keep that screen with directions up.

Jul 13, 2007
Bookmarking map views and directions

Yep, I know what you mean. At least be able to BOOKMARK the map view like you can bookmark an address.

I don't think so - I personally have tried everything.

"Save" meaning... as a printout? Screen capture? Weblink? All three are possible. I'm sure the iPhone will have cache, so if you leave for a trip (where you won't have wifi or edge) just keep that screen with directions up.

jacjac2

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Texas
I hope that loading the maps up over EDGE isn't as slow as the dickens:(
I have used this feature several times in last few days, and it loads fine for me. I am in the Houston area, I think ATT Edge reception is pretty good here. At least for me but I am more of the "I am excited just to have the phone" than concerned with what it is not doing. That is just me. Oh, don't get me wrong, I anxiously wait for the upgrades that I trust will be coming as soon as Apple is comfortable with them.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Turns out you can save the start and end points as well as bookmark various locations. And there's a recents (history) feature which is handy...

The iPhone will also "save" the last route you had pulled up. So you don't have to keep reloading it.

jacjac2

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Texas
Yep, I know what you mean. At least be able to BOOKMARK the map view like you can bookmark an address.

I don't think so - I personally have tried everything.
I went to The Woodlands Store - they basically just stated that when you have places you go to/or are thinking about going, put in your contacts and you can bring the contacts address up in maps. That was what I got out of it. Sorry if this is not what you are asking.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
You can bookmark addresses, and it's good to bookmark common start and ending points.

You can grab addresses from any contacts you have (don't bother bookmarking WORK if you have your name and work address in your contacts, for instance, but do bookmark HOME if you don't have that in your contacts.)

Maps does cache some of the last data viewed, so go look at the map view you think you'll need before you leave a wi-fi area, and it'll reload faster over EDGE.

If you just need a street map, try finding one you like, save it as a PDF document, and email it to yourself (<10mb file size for email, IIRC). Make sure you're happy with the amount you can pinch and zoom in it.