Can you share the iMac monitor?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Since I use a pc as well as the iMac, can I share the iMac monitor with a KVM switch or the like? I hate looking at the dull 17 in LCD on my pc next to the awesome 20in iMac.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I don't think this is possible. I know it is possible the other way round, but I don't think you can share the iMac screen.

I hope you manage to figure this out.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If the iMac has a video line in, ( analog or digital) then technically, there should be some way to do it, but I think that it's going to require more than just a KVM setup.
Since the monitor and "tower" are one unit, it would be difficult to split 2 signals to it.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
If the iMac has a video line in, ( analog or digital) then technically, there should be some way to do it, but I think that it's going to require more than just a KVM setup.
Since the monitor and "tower" are one unit, it would be difficult to split 2 signals to it.
Apparently, it can be done. Not that I would ever try it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Apparently, it can be done. Not that I would ever try it.
that link doesn't specify what kind of Mac the user has. My guess it is not an iMac... i don't believe they have any Video-in ports on them.

anyway, KVM switches are safe and really easy to set up... no reason not to try it on towers.

the only thing i can think of would be to share the PC desktop with a VNC server... but that kina sounds like a headache.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
set up your pc for remote sharing and then use a remote desktop on your mac and then you will see your pcs desktop on your mac and should be able to function as if your mac was your pc

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
set up your pc for remote sharing and then use a remote desktop on your mac and then you will see your pcs desktop on your mac and should be able to function as if your mac was your pc
That would be great, but I would also want to use it for some gaming as well.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
That would be great, but I would also want to use it for some gaming as well.
iv never actually used a remote desktop. it should work for gaming but im assuming it would lag too much?