Can you switch between 720p/1080p while recording video?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by bitemyapple, Feb 15, 2014.

1. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

Are there settings for when taking videos and photos, recording in 720p or 1080p? Is there a way to pick a resolution when taking a photo? If not, is there a jailbreak tweak that allows you to do this? I just remember on Android you could pick a resolution of the photo when taking pictures and where also able to choose the quality when taking a video (480p, 720p, 1080p).

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There are apps that will allow you to select the resolution before or after taking videos and pictures, but the stock apps don't have that option.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If you're looking for higher quality photos and videos, you won't find it in downloaded apps. The apps do offer the choice of lower quality. Both in photos and videos. Some offer the options, but most don't. Camera+ (photo camera only) offers 3 quality selections. ProCamera 7 uses a slider to adjust quality. The same is true for video cameras. I use Vizzywig. It allows for 640x360, 1280x720, and 1920x1080. 1920x1080 resolution takes 6 times as much disc space and 6 times longer to process than 640x360. Vizzywig is a great video/movie camera. But it's not worth $29.99. I stumbled on it almost 2 years ago when it was free for 1 day. But there's others like Videon and iMovie.

Sent from TapaTalk just because!

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

He's not asking for artificially-produced higher quality in photos and videos. He's asking for a way to choose the resolution he wants to shoot in. It's a feature a lot of people would like to see stock in iOS, I'm sure.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That's what the apps I mentioned do. You preset the res. before shooting. But no, the stock cam app doesn't offer that. It's another thing Apple lags behind on.

Sent from TapaTalk just because!

6. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

What app can adjust videos and picture settings in one app or do I need an app for each task?

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Either they are "lagging behind" on this, or they are intentionally making you go through extra steps to shoot 720p videos. 1080p videos take up more space, and the faster you use up your 16GB or 32GB of space, the sooner you will realize that you should get the 64GB model the following year. They make beaucoup bucks on the 32GB and 64GB models.

http://allthingsd.com/20130924/teardown-analysis-shows-iphone-5s-costs-at-least-199-to-build-173-for-the-5c/

Sad but true.