Canadian Election!

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
If anyone cares, it's election day in Canada! It's a pretty important election (they all are) because we've been struggling to get a majority government, so we've been to the polls 4 times in about 7.5 years. I just voted and I love the feeling of voting, no matter what the result ends up being. Feeling pretty lucky to live in such a great country :)

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I read it and thought it was a joke. Obama isn't your president up there in northern north America?
I'm kidding I'm kidding lol
I read it and went and looked at it on the net. Was surprised how much I didn't know what goes on with my neighbors to the north.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
I read it and thought it was a joke. Obama isn't your president up there in northern north America?
I read it and went and looked at it on the net. Was surprised how much I didn't know what goes on with my neighbors to the north.
Haha :p It's a pretty big day in Canada, we have a majority government for the first time in years. We'll actually go 4 years without an election for once! Mac, here's an article on the results if you would like to put it in the news tomorrow :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/05/02/cv-election-main.html

Tattooed Alex

Genius
Gold
Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Your not alone Ray, I must confess I that I really don't know anything abut Canadian politics either.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
Your not alone Ray, I must confess I that I really don't know anything abut Canadian politics either.
It's not quite as much of a media circus as it is in the US. I believe we actually have laws on how far the politicians can go in their commercials, etc. with respect to attacking other politicians personally. And it's also quite a different system than in the US. But we feel like we've been stuck in limbo for the last 7 or so years and while a Conservative majority may not be what some people wanted, it's a change at least. Plus the New Democrats took official opposition from the Liberals, which is quite historic, since the Liberals have been either in power or the official opposition basically since Confederation. The New Democrats are a fairly new party and tripled their seats in the House of Commons today, which came as a surprise to even the most optimistic forecasts.

And now you can sleep better, knowing a little more about Canadian politics, haha ;)

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
It's not quite as much of a media circus as it is in the US. I believe we actually have laws on how far the politicians can go in their commercials, etc. with respect to attacking other politicians personally. And it's also quite a different system than in the US. But we feel like we've been stuck in limbo for the last 7 or so years and while a Conservative majority may not be what some people wanted, it's a change at least. Plus the New Democrats took official opposition from the Liberals, which is quite historic, since the Liberals have been either in power or the official opposition basically since Confederation. The New Democrats are a fairly new party and tripled their seats in the House of Commons today, which came as a surprise to even the most optimistic forecasts.

And now you can sleep better, knowing a little more about Canadian politics, haha ;)
Thank you. Sorry this didn't make it to the news thread. However comma I do appreciate u filling us in. I have learned a lot

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Italians election are around the corner in few months, than few months after that, than couple weeks after that, again 4 months later, very stable and entertaining if you like reality shows, fallow us :D