Cancel contract, pay ETF, sell old phone to recoup?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I was trying to convince myself that I could wait until my Verizon contract expires, but that is becoming less and less likely with each passing hour.

Anyone else going to buy an iPhone, cancel your existing (Verizon, Alltel, T-Mobile) account, pay the early termination fee, and attempt to sell your old phone to get a little money back?

If Craig's List is any indication, if I sold my old phone after paying Verizon $175, I could recoup as much as $100 of that money. That would make me feel better. Hmm

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
ive already sold some stuff to recuop the money im spending on verizon's ETF... and im giving my current phone to my brother, and his old phone to my girlfriend.'

basically the iPhone cost to me is $775 plus tax, and am not going to worry about the ETF im paying. i HATE verizon, they screwed me over and don't deserve anymore of my money. the $175 will be 4x less than waiting out the contract with them. punks...

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I was trying to convince myself that I could wait until my Verizon contract expires, but that is becoming less and less likely with each passing hour.

Anyone else going to buy an iPhone, cancel your existing (Verizon, Alltel, T-Mobile) account, pay the early termination fee, and attempt to sell your old phone to get a little money back?

If Craig's List is any indication, if I sold my old phone after paying Verizon $175, I could recoup as much as $100 of that money. That would make me feel better. Hmm
Verizon term fees are supposed to be prorated as of Fall of 06. You probably have to ask or they will charge you the whole $175.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/28/AR2006062802202.html

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
What kind of phone do you have?
Actually, I'd be selling two phones. I've got an LG (can't remember model #) and a RAZR....and tons of accessories, batteries, etc. for both.

Verizon term fees are supposed to be prorated as of Fall of 06. You probably have to ask or they will charge you the whole $175.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/28/AR2006062802202.html
Yup, unfortunately I'm not on the prorated plan so they'll be sticking me for the full $175.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
I bet you right after the launch of the iPhone will be the best time ever to sell a different cell phone. I am sure nobody else will have the same idea. :)