Cancelled AT&T Preorder & Found 6+ in store today! Details...

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by AndersJ, Oct 1, 2014.

1. AndersJ

AndersJ New Member

I, like many of you, preordered my iPhone 6+ (128 gold) the night of the preorders at 3:05 am from AT&T. All went well or so I thought. It charged my card and showed that it would arrive 10/13-10/22. There were no updates at all. Frustrated, I looked on apple.com at their availability for local stores. It was always out of stock but somehow I got lucky this morning and there were iPhone 6+ in stock at a store an hour away. I immediately placed an order for a phone and chose the pick up at store option. I then called AT&T to cancel my phone order and now I'm typing this on my new phone. If you are able to visit a local Apple store, I would suggest looking up availability. Good luck everyone.

2. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

Did a similar thing, except I got screwed. I preordered through Apple and when I saw they had them in stock at my local store I went there, got in line, and cancelled my preorder. After waiting 5 hours, I get up there only to find out that since I preordered through Apple and not AT&T and then subsequently cancelled my preorder, it would take up to 72 hours to reset my upgrade eligibility... so I waited 5 hours for nothing. There is a happy ending though, I got a nice credit on my AT&T account for my troubles, and eventually got the phone, albeit a week later.

3. AndersJ

AndersJ New Member

I can totally see that being an issue. Glad it worked out for you. I did not have an upgrade so I wasn't concerned about that however good point for those who do want to use an upgrade.

4. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I waited in line at att only to find out I wasn't getting a plus so I purchased a 64GB 6 .... Ordered a plus model last week and I'm just waiting now hopefully it ships soon or I can find something local.

5. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@AndersJ
    CONGRATS TO YOU! I know you're enjoying your new iPhone 6+! I absolutely adore mine! I obtained my Space Gray iPhone 6+ 128GB a similar way. You can read the thread here.

Although I had my order in with a deliver date near the end of October, I knew I could get this 6+ from the Flagship Store on 5th Ave if I was just persistent enough, and it worked!

6. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I'm just curious and if u can, how much credit did I get : )

7. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

$100. It's better than nothing.

8. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

OMG!!! U did it really well. The most I have ever received has been $50, contras!

9. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

10. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

11. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

The best I ever did was $300. I get credits from AT&T all the time, it's one of the reasons why I love them- their customer service reps are easily manipulated. I'm very good at getting what I want from them, I probably could have gotten double this time but I was legitimately mad (as opposed to faking it), and I see red when I get angry so I wasn't on my game.

12. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I have been dealing with them since September the 30th to unlock the iPhone 6 that I already paid in full to have it unlock. I have literally spent hours calling and taking to them to try to solve my case. Yesterday I requested to be compensated for my time and was told no!

#12 FFAP1234, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  13. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

Did you ask to be transferred to the retentions department? Just threaten to buy the unlocked T-Mobile variant and cancel service. You should get something for your troubles.

14. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

To be honest I'm sick and tired of this situation that I just want it to end.

Everything started by AT&T giving me the wrong info about possible ways to pay AT&T Next. I was told I could make larger payments than what they ask for but needed to make the payment in a AT&T store.

I went to the store and I waited for an hour in line, when finally is my time they tell me that they cannot take payments that I need to do the full payment or just go with what has been set up.

I came back home upset thought through it and decided to pay everything in full. I went to the store the day after and I waited in line for 1 1/2 hours. When I tried to pay I was told I couldn't pay cash so I ended using my friend's credit card (since mine was cancel because in another state a person purchase electronics from best buy)

To make the story short I requested online to have the iPhone unlock, later on I received a message saying that I exited the number of phones to have unlock in a period, (of course that was wrong info)

Again I talk to customer service and they created a case, immediately I got a email saying to wait 24 hours to follow the procedure to have the iPhone unlocked. After the 24 hours I tried to unlock three times but it didn't, I try to use my phone with T Mobil to see if it it may work and of course it didn't.

I called Apple and after a few test Apple told me the phone was locked to AT&T. I called AT&T and they asked me to restore the phone again. I restore the phone again and didn't unlocked so they told me I needed to talk to Apple.

Apple told me I need to talk to AT&T. AT&T called Apple and Apple said the phone was locked. Now I have a new case open and I just can wait for this to be over.

15. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

I feel your pain man. While I haven't been in your exact situation I do know how frustrating it is getting told different things by different reps and just being given the overall runaround, as that is what happened to me with my whole upgrade debacle. I can tell you right off the bat that the first information you were given about payments on the AT&T NEXT plan was correct. You absolutely can make larger payments than required, as that is what I do regularly. You need to make your regular monthly payments, and for anything extra you wish to pay you need to call in to AT&T and just tell the rep you wish to make a payment towards the remaining balance on the phone. Tell them what you want to pay, give them your credit card, and you're all set.

As far as the unlocking is concerned, per the new laws they are legally obligated to unlock the device if you have fulfilled your contractual obligation and as a result, own the device. With the NEXT plan, the moment you pay the last penny owed, you own the phone and are no longer bound by contract. I would call back, and ask to speak to retentions immediately. If the rep who first answers tries to get you to explain your situation before they transfer you to retentions just state that you have explained it to too many reps already without resolution and are at your wit's end and just demand to speak to retentions, but be as diplomatic as possible. Once you have a retentions rep on the line, explain your situation in as much detail as possible, while also emphasizing the frustration and headaches this has caused you. And again, be diplomatic but let your frustration show through the tone of your voice. Mention the wasted time, and the runaround from all the people you have been directed to talk to. Tell them you are not happy with the way AT&T has been treating you, and that this is your last effort to work with them before you jump ship to another carrier. The retentions department has one purpose and one purpose only- to retain your business as a loyal customer of AT&T. They are the ones with the power to give larger credits (all my big scores have come from retentions) and they also have the power to escalate your case to whatever technical team is needed to solve the problem. Going this route is the absolute best chance of getting your situation resolved, if resolution is to be had. They'll get your phone unlocked (though it may take a few days, as it has in the past for me), and if you play your cards right, you may also get a decent credit to your account. If I was in a situation like yours, $50 would be my goal. If they offer you $50, take it and say thank you. If they offer you less, tell them you would feel better with a $50 credit. It's reasonable so they shouldn't have any problem with it. Give it a shot, at this point you have nothing to lose.

Good luck bud. Let me know what happens.

16. Mrmargatini

Mrmargatini Contributor
    Bronze

Bruh!!! Wow that's the worst. I was just mad over late shipping I have the next as well. So far they haven't taken back my 5s I hope there wit be any issues at all. I got a rude rep in the store today but that store is normally nice so I'll go back when that rep is on her break. Again I feel your pain. I do like the next program though. I mean if I paid the $499 cool I own my phone after 2 years and no payments each month but if I want to upgrade in 12 months with next I can

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You do not need to speak with Apple. There's nothing they can do aside from selling you a factory unlocked phone, which you didn't buy. You bought a locked AT&T phone that's eligible for unlocking through your carrier. Keep requesting this from AT&T. The preferred way to do it is just after purchase and prior to activating it, but it can still be done after you activate it. AT&T unlocked my 5s last year right after I bought it since I paid full cost.

18. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I really appreciate your support. I would like to tell you more about the whole insistent. There are also some good things that I didn't mention but I'm very short of time on weekends and because English isn't my first language it takes too for me to write.

Meanwhile I can tell you I got a email from AT&T saying that I need to wait 24 hours to backup and restore my phone to have it unlock.
    I know this is good news but the first time I got the same message and waited the 24 hours didn't unlock it.

To be continue, thank u : )

19. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

20. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I called apple support only to confirm if the phone was or wasn't unlock since AT&T told me it was apple's fault. There was a time a while ago they were able to tell me about another unlock phone by giving them the IMEI #.

Yes I insisted and now it seams that it may work since they requested another unlock code for me, I'm crossing my fingers.

Europa u were right, I only could get $450 for my iPhone 5S 64GB as you predicted, thank you.