Cancelled MobileMe and lost all of my contacts, calendars

gelattd2

Mar 4, 2010
IF YOU OWN AND iPHONE, PLEASE READ THIS MESSAGE: If you sign up for a "MobileMe" account with Apple and cancel it, you WILL lose ALL of your contacts and ALL of your calendar. I spent over an hour with tech support from Apple and MobileMe (which is an Apple subsidiary) and was told that there was no way to retrieve the lost information. I even have synced my iPhone with iTunes and cannot get any of my stuff back. My dream phone just turned into a nightmare !

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I'm sorry to hear about your trouble, but I don't think that this loss of data after cancelling your account would be unexpected. The first Google search result for "cancel MobileMe account" is this Apple support article that specifically mentions that all data will be deleted upon cancellation, with links to instructions on how to back up the data first before it's deleted.

Anyway, I hope you find a way to get your data back so that your iPhone gets back to normal again.

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
data may be deleted from Apple's servers upon cancellation (as it should be), but they CANNOT delete any data saved to your computers. As long as you have been syncing a computer to mobileme, then the data should remain there.

Think about it. if you were cancelling a service, would you want that company to keep your personal information indefinitely, only to run the risk of it being stolen, misused, or sold?

even further, when my service was running out last fall, i received at LEAST three emails warning me about what info i would lose, and when i would lose it. If i recall correctly, there was a 30-day grace period.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
In this emerging era of cloud computing, two words will save your butt, time and time again. Local Backups!

JeffPom

Bronze
Oct 13, 2008
I took the trial of MobileMe. I canceled it before the trial expired and lost nothing. All my contacts and data stayed completely intact.

Plus - as acosmichippo said... Canceling a cloud service would have nothing to do with the information on your computer. It's not like they have the power to go on your computer and erase your backup, and then completely wipe your phone...

You had to have done something wrong. I just do not see this happening.

Jun 17, 2010
This morning I lost all MY contact information from my iPhone - I thought syncing my phone would automatically sync my contacts, but apparently I did not set mine up that way.

I closed the trial MobileMe account a few days ago. A pop-up kept coming up on my phone so this morning I went to my contacts and deleted that email account - then everything in my address book disappeared except the phone numbers in MyFavorites and RecentCalls (things like that)...

I did an online help chat with MobileMe and got my contacts back using this information...

Start, Programs, Windows Contacts (your contact place might be something different - search for 'contacts' on your computer until you find some)
if there are cotacts there...
Connect iPhone to your PC with the USB Cable
Open iTunes, on the left side bar under Devices select your iPhone
Under Info tab select Sync Contacts with Windows Contacts (mine had an arrow that listed Google Contacts, Windows Contacts & Yahoo! Address Book - your list might be longer - use the one that has your contacts in it)
Then select All Contacts
On lower right section of main screen select Sync button.

After the sync was done, my contacts were back...at least everything from the last time I synced it. So I only lost recent information which is much better than losing EVERYTHING.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes. Your contacts are on the phone. Just turn off MobileMe in iTunes on the computer and then sync them to Windows contacts, Gmail, or Yahoo.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
Yes. Your contacts are on the phone. Just turn off MobileMe in iTunes on the computer and then sync them to Windows contacts, Gmail, or Yahoo.
do there is no direct export from MM? it would have to be MM>iP>PC>Goog Contacts?

Also, is there a way to import a bulk list or does it take whats on the phone?