Cancelling my contract question..

adlx21

Bronze
Jun 21, 2008
Hello all, I am wondering what will happen if I cancel my contract? I searched and found that ETFs are not illegal, but I'll have to pay the remaining months at $5/month. Is this correct? Also will i have to return my iPhone? I am thinking of selling it.. any help would be really great, thank you!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Hello all, I am wondering what will happen if I cancel my contract? I searched and found that ETFs are not illegal, but I'll have to pay the remaining months at $5/month. Is this correct? Also will i have to return my iPhone? I am thinking of selling it.. any help would be really great, thank you!
The cancellation fee for AT&T is 175.00 per line. You do not have to return the phone...Mark

adlx21

Bronze
Jun 21, 2008
DOH. so ETFs are legal still for AT&T? so all i have to do is pay the $175 and im all set? nothing else?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
DOH. so ETFs are legal still for AT&T? so all i have to do is pay the $175 and im all set? nothing else?
They might prorate you for the months usage... Whatever you used when you decide to cancel.

adlx21

Bronze
Jun 21, 2008
hrm, this is from the att site..
"Effective May 25, 2008, new and renewing AT&T wirless customers who enter into 1- or 2-year service agreements will no longer be required to pay a single, flat ETF. Instead, the $175 ETF will be lowered by $5.00 every month for the term fo the contract."
http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-..._dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=53602&isSrch=Yes

they make it sound like theres no flat $175 fee..

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
It will be lowered By $5 a month? What does that exactly mean?

meems

Bronze
Dec 3, 2008
Sounds like what Verizon does. I was with Verizon for 14 months so when I canceled my contract I had to pay $105 per line instead of $175 per line.

I suggest canceling near the end of the billing cycle so you aren't paying for service you won't be using.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
hrm, this is from the att site..
"Effective May 25, 2008, new and renewing AT&T wirless customers who enter into 1- or 2-year service agreements will no longer be required to pay a single, flat ETF. Instead, the $175 ETF will be lowered by $5.00 every month for the term fo the contract."
http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-..._dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=53602&isSrch=Yes

they make it sound like theres no flat $175 fee..
I asked AT&T about this the other day. The rep told me there is no prorated ETF. She said the charge is 175.00...

Check This Out http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/cell_phone_early_termination_fees.html

Found This Also: The new iPhone 3G, with its $199/$299 price point in the United States, will be one of the first phones offered under these new rules. While AT&T customers are still required to sign a two-year agreement to buy the phone, if a customer chooses to terminate his or her contract they will only pay a prorated fee calculated from the time remaining on their contract. Purchasers of the original iPhone will remain bound to the old rules.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^you stop whining too, who cares about cancelling contracts. a man is only as good as his word, this guy apparently can't keep his....

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
^you stop whining too, who cares about cancelling contracts. a man is only as good as his word, this guy apparently can't keep his....
You don't think you should have the right to leave a company when you no longer need their service? I can see the folks that get a subsidized phones. I cannot and will not agree with ETF's when paying full price. Mark

PePe why did you enter this thread with your stop whining BS just to start trouble? If you are having a bad day don't bring it to others. The OP asked a question and your response in no way answers it.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
if you have a problem with me then send me a pm, don't continue to cry in this thread

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
if you have a problem with me then send me a pm, don't continue to cry in this thread
Why would I want to PM you? Get a freaking life. You entered this thread to start trouble. I'm done with it. Give all your freaking money to companies for nothing if you want to. I really don't give a damn! M

adlx21

Bronze
Jun 21, 2008
ANYWAYSSSSSSSS..... swagger, your saying I need to pay the remaining months of my contract, no ETF?

because u said "she said the charge is 175.00..."
then said "if a customer chooses to terminate his or her contract they will only pay a prorated fee calculated from the time remaining on their contract."

im lost.. lol. sorry

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
ANYWAYSSSSSSSS..... swagger, your saying I need to pay the remaining months of my contract, no ETF?

because u said "she said the charge is 175.00..."
then said "if a customer chooses to terminate his or her contract they will only pay a prorated fee calculated from the time remaining on their contract."

im lost.. lol. sorry
The prorated ETF only applies to AT&T phones purchased post iPhone 3G...Mark

You will need to pay your current bill to zero balance (not the remaining months) and the prorated ETF if your phone was purchased after the release of the 3G. If you purchased before the 3G you have to pay a 175.00 ETF... Mark

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Gotta love these internet tough guys.

To the OP if your not happy with AT&T or the iPhone just call them and see what it's going to cost you get out of your contract than turn around and sell the phone on ebay. You'll more than likely make a little bit of money.

Personally the past year I've had the krazor, an LG Voyager and currently own (obviously) the iPhone and the BB Storm and the iPhone is by far the best phone I've ever owned (the Storms going back Monday).

Hope everything works out for the best.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^you love me, you are just afraid to admit it.

to the op, if you are selling your phone because you can't keep your word, hit me up if you haven't yet upgraded to 2.2, i'll take it off your hands for a good price.