Cancelling within the first 30 days..

blewis1984

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Can someone please post a link to this policy? Or at least explain to me how it works?

Do you just return the phone and they cancel your service/give you a refund?

I'm asking because I believe I'm going to return my iPhone and cancel my AT&T service and go with another carrier. I can't bring myself to pay $100+/month for a cell phone. Especially when my reception sucks big time.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Can someone please post a link to this policy? Or at least explain to me how it works?

Do you just return the phone and they cancel your service/give you a refund?

I'm asking because I believe I'm going to return my iPhone and cancel my AT&T service and go with another carrier. I can't bring myself to pay $100+/month for a cell phone. Especially when my reception sucks big time.
They'll cancel your service, and give you a refund, but you are going to have to pay a ?10% restocking fee.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Based on your complaint, you should not have to pay anything to AT&T, but they may try to charge you a prorated portion of your service fee and any usage fees like minutes over the limit or texting. If you purchased the phone from Apple instead of AT&T, I think they do charge you a restocking fee.

Personally, I would just cancel the AT&T service and sell the phone on eBay. New 16GB 3Gs are going fro 800-1000 on eBay. You deserve it for what you've been through.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Based on your complaint, you should not have to pay anything to AT&T, but they may try to charge you a prorated portion of your service fee and any usage fees like minutes over the limit or texting. If you purchased the phone from Apple instead of AT&T, I think they do charge you a restocking fee.

Personally, I would just cancel the AT&T service and sell the phone on eBay. New 16GB 3Gs are going fro 800-1000 on eBay. You deserve it for what you've been through.
Don't let them prorate any charges if you cancel your service. I opened another wireless account with them on July 11th with a BlackJack II, canceled it just yesterday after using the phone, the GPS, texting and other services. They charged me nothing and there was no restocking fee.

Of course this wasn't an iPhone to restock, but that may be the max you pay, is the restocking fee for the phone. But def don't pay any charges for a cancelled account.

I got the BJII just to compare internets speeds and signal quality between the two phones...BTW.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami

Correct me if i am wrong, but once you cancel you are required to return the phone, or they will bill you the full non contract amount for it. Which is like $499/$599

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I think those prices are for current AT&T non upgrade eligible subscribers to buy it and activate a 2 year iPhone contract.

However, I believe the full retail price that you have to pay if you keep the phone after canceling an iPhone contract is $599 and $699, respectively.

There was some discussion of this in other threads.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think those prices are for current AT&T non upgrade eligible subscribers to buy it and activate a 2 year iPhone contract.

However, I believe the full retail price that you have to pay if you keep the phone after canceling an iPhone contract is $599 and $699, respectively.

There was some discussion of this in other threads.
Thats what I originally thought about the prices, but in another thread, when I said that, someone said that those were wrong, so I wasn't sure...

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Well to clear that up almost every phone provider will bill you the full manufactures amount for the phone if you decide to keep it after cancelling a contract with them. They don't tell you this but it's kinda common sense that they're not going to let you leave them and still keep the phone for free.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
AT&T Equipment Return Policy
• 30 days for equipment purchased from
AT&T
• All returns/exchanges must be like new
and the return must include all original
packaging, including accessories, manuals,
and proof of purchase.
• All iPhone returns will be subject to a 10%
re-stocking fee.
• Other Locations: See the specific location’s​
return policy.

30-Day Service Cancellation Policy

• Payment required for services used.
• Activation/Upgrade fee will be refunded.
• See our complete policy at:​
att.com/ReturnPolicy.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
That's funny. I returned a blackjack to AT&T last year within a week of purchasing it. I didn't pay any restocking fee.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
That's funny. I returned a blackjack to AT&T last year within a week of purchasing it. I didn't pay any restocking fee.

• All iPhone returns will be subject to a 10%
re-stocking fee.