Cannot download purchased Apps on iPhone to iTunes in MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gil, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

I just bought a new MackBook Pro and synchronized and backed up my iPhone 6plus in iTunes, after the initial setup ( signing in with my Apple ID etc). I was then expecting all purchases in my phone ( applications already purchased using that account) to be uploaded in the iTunes library. But this has not been the case.
    Strangely, I keep getting this pop-up
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1449766550.215011.jpg

I have even put the firewall off, authorized the IPhone tried all tricks but can't get round it. Any help?

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Just to be sure, you do realize that having them on iTunes on your Mac's hard drive doesn't serve any purpose, correct? This is probably just a holdover from past times when you couldn't download an app an infinute number of times after purchase.

They will always be in your purchased list, and you can always re-download them from there—provided you continue to use the same Apple ID.

For what it's worth, I've been getting that same pop-up you're getting ever since two days ago, the day Apple released iOS 9.2 and OS X 10.11.2 and other OS updates for their other devices. This happened to me even before I updated my OS X version. I'm theorizing they accidentally messed something up while they were making the software updates live.

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 12.50.42 PM.png
    Incidentally, I notice you're photographing your MacBook Pro's screen in order to take "screenshots" to share with us. Here's how you can do this without involving a standalone camera:

How to take a screenshot on your Mac - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

#2 Rafagon, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

4. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

You are right about that. The same message popped up when I went back to my Windows laptop and again purchases in the phone could not be downloaded onto the laptop when synchronized or backed up. But then what is means is that you have to manually download those same apps to the laptop when you've already got them on the phone. This is extra cost because it consumes data, especially in a third world country where data bundles are expensive. Plus it is a waste of time.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

May I ask why you want to keep a copy of the apps on the laptop?

If you ever needed to re-download any of your current apps, you can go back to the Purchased list and download it again—free of cost.

For example: Sometimes an app is temporarily reduced from its price to "FREE"—it may be an app that I don't have a need for at that moment. But I will Get the app just so that it's on my purchased list, and immediately delete it. Then I can get it again for free if I ever need to in the future—even after the temporary "FREE" cost has been raised back to normal price.

Also: I can tell you that my apps are downloading to my app library (iMac hard drive) despite the error message. I just tried it. I get the error, but the app successfully downloads. They are probably downloading ofr you as well. On your iTunes, go to My Apps and see if your apps are there, despite the error message.

6. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1449772242.989888.jpg

Thanks Rafagon. I've got it.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Excellent. And here's how to check to see if your recent App downloads are indeed on your hard drive. On iTunes, find the "…". Then, find "My Apps" near the top center of that window. Below that, you will see all apps currently on your iTunes library (see below).

Here are mine (including an app downloaded today, despite the iTunes error message)… and this is only a partial list because every once in a while, I come to this very screen to delete the apps. Right now, they are taking up ~ 3.25 GB on my hard drive. It isn't much at all, but hey, I'd rather have it available to me than wasted on App files that serve no purpose.

checkapps.jpg

8. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

Thanks very much for the helpful tips, Rafagon. Right now I am using OS X, 10. 10. 5. Should I upgrade to OS X El Capitan? I am being promoted to do so.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Yes, definitely. You said it was a new MBP, so there should be no concerns about the its ability to handle the update. Aside from new features, updating to the latest version of OS X ensures that you have the newest security patches in place, which is always a good thing.

10. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

Thanks very much. You've been retained as my consultant. I appreciate it.