Cannot get mail

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 15, 2012
The mail server IMAP.GMAIL.COM is not responding. Verify... I've had this iPad w/gmail acct for over a year and just started getting this message. I can't resolve it. I know I am not alone. I am, however, not too technically adept. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I already deleted my acct and reestablished it, and tried but failed to set up an exchange acct. I'm stuck.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Is IMAP enabled for your email account?

Login to your gmail account and check, under settings. You'll see a POP/IMAP tab. Make sure IMAP is enabled.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
My POP emails were doing the same thing. I ended up deleting all my email accounts on the iPhone and re-adding them. Fixed.
I've had a similar problem too, I deleted them and started over which did fix it. The OP's tried that, so here's to hoping enabling IMAP will help.

Aug 15, 2012
How do I get to my email acct to check if IMAP is enabled? through the web? I don't see a POP/IMAP tab in settings on my iPad. Sorry, like I said, not too technically adept.

Thanks for the help at any rate.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
How do I get to my email acct to check if IMAP is enabled? through the web? I don't see a POP/IMAP tab in settings on my iPad. Sorry, like I said, not too technically adept.

Thanks for the help at any rate.
You will need to view your account via the Internet, which could be done by Safari on the iPad.

Aug 15, 2012
I got to my account, tapped the gear for settings, and my only options are to Change my signature or enable vacation responder. No POP/IMAP tab.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I have 3 gmail accounts on my 4S & on my iPad 2 setup as IMAP. One of them gave me IMAP server not responding notices for about a week. The other 2 accounts, configured in the same manner, continued to function without a hitch. Just as suddenly as it stopped working, it started working again, on it's own, on both devices. Very strange.
YMMV

Aug 15, 2012
Under the GENERAL tab in settings it says version 4.3.3 (8J2) on my iPad - don't know if that's the IOS or not...my mail's been down about two weeks now YMMV, and I check multiple times a day in hopes of the same strange magic you encountered.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
You might want to try the GMail app as a workaround until you get it working again. The app worked for me during my outage. Best of luck.

Any impatience you show will only create more stress.

Aug 15, 2012
Okay, this is weird. I went to my brother's PC to try to get a screenshot as directed, and the screen looked just like yours. IMAP is enabled in GMAIL. At least I now know how to access my mail via the web and will download that ap as a workaround. Thanks for everything so far you guys. I'll keep trying things to get my iPad to work as it used to and will post the solution if it ever presents itself.