Cannot get mail

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Downtodden, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Downtodden

Downtodden New Member

The mail server IMAP.GMAIL.COM is not responding. Verify... I've had this iPad w/gmail acct for over a year and just started getting this message. I can't resolve it. I know I am not alone. I am, however, not too technically adept. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I already deleted my acct and reestablished it, and tried but failed to set up an exchange acct. I'm stuck.

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Is IMAP enabled for your email account?

Login to your gmail account and check, under settings. You'll see a POP/IMAP tab. Make sure IMAP is enabled.

3. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

My POP emails were doing the same thing. I ended up deleting all my email accounts on the iPhone and re-adding them. Fixed.

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've had a similar problem too, I deleted them and started over which did fix it. The OP's tried that, so here's to hoping enabling IMAP will help.

5. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Crap. I didn't even notice he tried it already.

6. Downtodden

Downtodden New Member

How do I get to my email acct to check if IMAP is enabled? through the web? I don't see a POP/IMAP tab in settings on my iPad. Sorry, like I said, not too technically adept.

Thanks for the help at any rate.

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You will need to view your account via the Internet, which could be done by Safari on the iPad.

8. Downtodden

Downtodden New Member

I got to my account, tapped the gear for settings, and my only options are to Change my signature or enable vacation responder. No POP/IMAP tab.

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Do you not see a menu like this at all?

ScreenShot2012-08-17at012741.jpg

10. Downtodden

Downtodden New Member

Nope, but wish I did. I just have the two options I mentioned before when I tap the gear.

11. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

What version of iOS is your iPad running?

12. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I have 3 gmail accounts on my 4S & on my iPad 2 setup as IMAP. One of them gave me IMAP server not responding notices for about a week. The other 2 accounts, configured in the same manner, continued to function without a hitch. Just as suddenly as it stopped working, it started working again, on it's own, on both devices. Very strange.
    YMMV

13. Downtodden

Downtodden New Member

Under the GENERAL tab in settings it says version 4.3.3 (8J2) on my iPad - don't know if that's the IOS or not...my mail's been down about two weeks now YMMV, and I check multiple times a day in hopes of the same strange magic you encountered.

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Could you possibly screenshot your email settings screen?

15. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

You might want to try the GMail app as a workaround until you get it working again. The app worked for me during my outage. Best of luck.

Any impatience you show will only create more stress.

16. Downtodden

Downtodden New Member

Okay, this is weird. I went to my brother's PC to try to get a screenshot as directed, and the screen looked just like yours. IMAP is enabled in GMAIL. At least I now know how to access my mail via the web and will download that ap as a workaround. Thanks for everything so far you guys. I'll keep trying things to get my iPad to work as it used to and will post the solution if it ever presents itself.