Cannot get original iPhone to charge fully

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Vultren

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
The battery is really making me mad. It wont fully charge until I get the green glow and FULL green battery all the way up to the end.

As you can see in the first one, there is a very noticeable gap, I cant get it to charge all the way. I have it in the wall charger, so the computer isn't shutting down. Under settings-usage it shows that its been 3 days since a last full charge and I charge it every night for sometimes 7 hours.

I need to know whats wrong, around 4pm every day I get only 1.5 of the battery left. Theres gotta be something wrong.

Can you guys please help. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vultren

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
I said that wrong. I only have half of the battery life. And yes 5:30 in the morning to 4:00pm in the after noon. I have all the things people suggested to turn off, however it still sucks the battery out of the phone.

Theres gotta be something wrong, when I almost get one day of battery and some people reported 3 and a half days on one charge.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
anyone please. I need an answer ASAP.
If this issue is this important to you, then I suggest you call Apple support for help! Internet forums are great places to share knowledge, and find out info, but they're not usually the best place for warranty support (especially on something that's so important you have to use CAPS!).

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I said that wrong. I only have half of the battery life. And yes 5:30 in the morning to 4:00pm in the after noon. I have all the things people suggested to turn off, however it still sucks the battery out of the phone.

Theres gotta be something wrong, when I almost get one day of battery and some people reported 3 and a half days on one charge.
If all you do is standby and make phone calls, it is draining too fast. If you do a lot of other things like checking your email frequently, browsing a lot, watching a uTube movie here and there, a 50% drain is probably normal. In the first case (minimal use causing too much drain), you probably can contact Apple to get a replacement.

Vultren

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
If this issue is this important to you, then I suggest you call Apple support for help! Internet forums are great places to share knowledge, and find out info, but they're not usually the best place for warranty support (especially on something that's so important you have to use CAPS!).
Apple support is out of operating hours right now... Plus I can get the answer i want from other users who like to help people in need. This isn't a warranty question, its a general question that can be answered by a good person, such as geordisjd.

If all you do is standby and make phone calls, it is draining too fast. If you do a lot of other things like checking your email frequently, browsing a lot, watching a uTube movie here and there, a 50% drain is probably normal. In the first case (minimal use causing too much drain), you probably can contact Apple to get a replacement.
I don't ever check my email, I set it up so I can send pictures and stuff only. I never found any option thats says "Manually check emails." If I could find it I would change it, but maybe thats it?

I do a bit of surfing usually on the bus and during reading class, make some calls and text during class/lunch. Then I don't really do anything with it until around 4ish and its almost half way dead. It wont get a full charge I checked. Its usage is 34 hours, and I just took it off the charger when the battery icon turned into a plug.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I don't ever check my email, I set it up so I can send pictures and stuff only. I never found any option thats says "Manually check emails." If I could find it I would change it, but maybe thats it?
If you go to Settings > Mail, you'll see an Auto-Check option under "Messages". In there you can set to manual mail check only.

runcmd

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Rabun Gap, GA
LOL. your description of usage matches me to a tee. My battery lasts from 6 AM to about 3:00PM then it's dead. It slowly drains to 50% about 2:00PM and then from there to about 3:00PM it's a landslide down to 20%, 10%, LOW BATTERY, Dead ...

typical work day usage
1/3 bright
wifi: on
ask to join networks: off
bluetooth: off
listen to one of Leo Laportes podcasts on the way to work (plugged into car charger)
rare use of the phone, maybe 3 minutes tops.
3 email accounts set to check every 15 minutes.
occasional Youtube
occasional browse the net

It's almost comical. if it wasn't so sad. So yeh. I empathize.

MACGIRL34

Sep 18, 2007
Do you guys leave your wifi on all the time? If so that could be a large part of the problem. I turn my wifi off when not needed. I power off at night.

Sep 27, 2007
Do you guys leave your wifi on all the time? If so that could be a large part of the problem. I turn my wifi off when not needed. I power off at night.
Right On...... this mirrors my practices exactly. I've had mine since day one (jeez did I stand in line long enough?) and the battery is just fine.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Apple support is out of operating hours right now... Plus I can get the answer i want from other users who like to help people in need. This isn't a warranty question, its a general question that can be answered by a good person, such as geordisjd.
If you're charging it for 7 straight hours, off a wall outlet, and you can't get a full charge... then yes, it IS a warranty problem. It's fairly obvious that if you can't fully charge your battery in 7 hours, then there's probably something wrong with the battery! At a minimum, it needs to be discussed with Apple Support to verify.

As I said, forums are great for sharing info, and gathering common knowledge; I've gotten a lot of great advice and help here. But, for immediate needs support, your best bet is to contact Apple.

Sep 27, 2007
At a minimum, it needs to be discussed with Apple Support to verify. As I said, forums are great for sharing info, and gathering common knowledge; I've gotten a lot of great advice and help here. But, for immediate needs support, your best bet is to contact Apple.
Indeed!

There is no substitute for contacting Apple with ones concerns. Given a chance (with a rare exception) , I've always found Apple to be very helpful. The rare exception is the time when I simply got a guy that had a bad attitude and one cannot blame Apple for that. After all it's a huge company and they cannot all be courteous and knowledgeable. I simply listened to him, said thanks, then immediately called back. This time I was greeted by the type of person that takes pride in their position and does the right thing. He resolved my issue quickly and with a great attitude....:laugh2:

oab

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
The battery is really making me mad. It wont fully charge until I get the green glow and FULL green battery all the way up to the end.

As you can see in the first one, there is a very noticeable gap, I cant get it to charge all the way. I have it in the wall charger, so the computer isn't shutting down. Under settings-usage it shows that its been 3 days since a last full charge and I charge it every night for sometimes 7 hours.

I need to know whats wrong, around 4pm every day I get only 1.5 of the battery left. Theres gotta be something wrong.

Can you guys please help. Thanks!

Have you updated? I had that same problem until the first update. Also, Just found out my AC charger was defective--not sure if that was part of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
There is no way the battery should be draining that quickly! From 6am-6pm i have my phone checking email every 15 min, i'm on and off of AIM all day long, send a bunch of texts, surf the web and listen to the ipod and i still come home with over 75% full......but i will admit, once i turn on wifi...it drains REALLY quickly!

MaineWriter

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
I had a long drive today so I used the phone to listen to podcasts during the trip. After about 3.5 hours I got the "20% battery" left message. This is the first time I have actually run the battery all the way down so I am wondering, is 3.5 hours of continuous iPod use about standard?

Also, once it got to the point of 20% battery left, the phone started to freeze. I had to do "slide to unlock" over and over again before it would unlock. I couldn't answer a phone call. I couldn't stop the podcast. It was almost like all the buttons became inoperable. Has this happened to anyone else? When I arrived at my destination, I plugged it in and charged it up and now it seems to be fine.

Just wondering if this has happened to others. Thanks.

MW

JMG

Sep 24, 2007
Wilmington, De
I had pretty much the same problem (battery not charging all the way) I went to the Apple store and they exchanged it for me right on the spot. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

salidin786

Oct 24, 2007
If you go to Settings > Mail, you'll see an Auto-Check option under "Messages". In there you can set to manual mail check only.
yeah i don't have that option in settings. does anyone else not have the auto-check email option in settings or is it just mine?