"Cannot Make or Receive Calls" - Help needed.

Hissta

Feb 4, 2008
Hi,
I have done web searches, and encountered others getting this problem, but I have yet to find a fix.

First, and foremost, I will give a breakdown of what happened.

I have a two month old 16gb iPhone, that I upgraded to 1.14 when it came out.
About two weeks ago, I used ZiPhone to jailbreak the phone. I then added some apps, mostly games.
On Thursday, I attempted to install Community Sources, and after that, a Final Fantasy Theme for Summerboard. Up until now, I had no problems.
The iPhone then displayed the message "iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Repair needed. www.apple.com/support". I was still on the Home screen when this happened. So, I tried to restart my phone. Message appeared again. I decided I would try to uninstall all my apps using the uninstall tab on installer. Everything uninstalled without a glitch, and I restarted my phone again.
This time, it brought me to the keypad for emergency calls, with the repair message listed.
I took a deep breath, not worrying yet, and just stopped worrying until I got home.
Once home, I attemped to restore to stock using iTunes. (I know I made a lot of mistakes until now probably, but I had no idea what to do, and I believed restoring to stock would work).
iTunes detected the iPhone but said that the sim card was not installed and so iTunes could not sync the phone. I put the phone into restore mode, and was able to try a restore that way.
The process got to "Installing firmware", where it hung for a whiile, and then gave me the error, "Restore could not be completed due to an unknown error (1011.)
I have tried restoring on all USB ports, reinstalling iTunes, deleting the files on the Apple restore guide, I even tried on my girlfriend's macbook.
It always gives me the same error 1011.
I then tried ibricker, which detected my iPhone in restore mode, and tried to repair, which just brought me back to the emergency keypad with the repair needed message.
I used ZiPhone's Refurbish command to use when sending back to Apple. It can that program fine.
Here is where I think I really messed up. I then was reading, and tried to used ZiPhone to download bootloader. It got to the a part where it said "Waiting for data" and hung there. This is where I started to panic for my stupidity.
Ran ibricker again, let it try to restore, which it did, and I am back to the emergency keypad with the repair needed message again.
I talked to Apple, they couldn't diagnose anything beyond it may have been a magnetic slider case (which I don't use). They sent me a box to return for repair, which just arrived about 5 minutes ago.
However, I am worried they will discover it was jailbroken (I am hoping the Refurbish cleared it, but my stupidity trying to downgrade it may cost me), and declared it void.

I know this is a long message, but I wanted to list all the facts. I really wish I had just left well enough alone.

If anyone knows what I can/should do, please let me know.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
try this. restore to 1.1.4, (just press restore) and then try booting it real quick..

Hissta

Feb 4, 2008
When exactly do you want me to reboot?

The process goes...

Extracting software....
Preparing iPhone for restore...(iPhone reboots automatically and stays on black screen with Apple logo for duration)
Restoring iPhone software...
Verifying iPhone software....
Verifying iPhone restore...
Restoring iPhone firmware...this is where after a minute or two it gives me Error 1011 (never starts installing firmware)

Hissta

Feb 4, 2008
I just tried to reboot during the "Restoring iPhone firmware" and it gave me a new error code (9).

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
try the following.

connect iPhone to computer,

hold down home+sleep until screen goes blank,

count two seconds, and release sleep, but keep holding down home

in about 10-15 seconds, iTunes will recognize your iPhone.

Screen should remain off when iTunes recognizes your iPhone.

When iTunes begins to actually restore, though, the screen will come on.

Hope this helps.

Hissta

Feb 4, 2008
Followed your instructions exactly, when it started to restore, I had the telltale white screen followed by the black one with the Apple logo.

Still got error 1011 after it hanging on firmware restore. =(

So, can they tell if it has been jailbroken if they can't get it to work lol?

Hissta

Feb 4, 2008
ZiPhone does still recognize it. So does iBricker.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Click "Refurbish" or something like that.

Oct 9, 2007
I had the same problem

I used ziPhone to refurb, then just restored using iTunes...it worked for me. (1.1.4)

Hissta

Feb 4, 2008
I just tried to refurbish, it said "Downgrading Bootloader to 3.9" and text started streaming on my iPhone. It than get to a point where I think it said something about EEROM, than "Hm, this is bad" then
Attempt...
Attempt...
Attempt...
etc.

Any ideas?

gremlok

Nov 18, 2007
Repair needed - it is sim related?

did u finally get it back working/solve the problem?

I have just encountered the same problem - the 'repair needed' message appears - however it also says that there is no longer any network. I can still use other functions, and bluetooth and wifi still works. but after 5-10 minutes the phones crashes = it freezes up and i cant use the slider to power off. i hard boot and it then works again, but only for another 10-15 minutes before same problems happens.

i suspect the sim card might be malfunctioning........?

I just tried to refurbish, it said "Downgrading Bootloader to 3.9" and text started streaming on my iPhone. It than get to a point where I think it said something about EEROM, than "Hm, this is bad" then
Attempt...
Attempt...
Attempt...
etc.

Any ideas?

N

natureday

The solution

My 3G did the same thing to me, it was like that for a whole day, I was so frustrated.
I just kept trying differnet things and finally I unplugged my mouse and plugged in the wire there, and it started to work!
Yes!