Cannot restore iPhone error 1604

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

sibrahim

Sep 29, 2007
Anyone know how to fix the problem of trying to restore an iPhone and getting the 1604 error?

Last edited by a moderator:

bfakhroo

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
found only one way to solve this problem.

find the actual iPhone update file. on a PC it goes to :

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

and double click the most recent iPhone update to execute it.
this finally worked for me when nothing else would.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=error 1604 iPhone&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

OR CHECK THESE LINKS, you might find an answer here:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/restore-error-1604-anyone.11660/

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/ok-now-im-starting-to-panic.10634/

Last edited by a moderator:

oneworld9

Jan 11, 2008
utterly hopeless

i have an ipod touch 16gb in use with a MBP running 10.5.1. I had jailbroken the ipod touch and loaded apps and it worked fine for several works. Strangely, i left the unit charging last night and woke to it frozen this morning. after trying to reset it, i was compelled to restore it but ran into the error 1604 issue. I have absolutely everything that has been suggested here and elsewhere and i am sad to say nothing at all worked. I tried different user acconts, restarting, different machines, forcing to restore from the file itself with iTunes closed, running in safe mode, running repeatedly (+15 times), and nothing at all has worked to restore the unit. I am not sure if this is what is meant by bricking, though from all i had read there always had seemed to be ways of restoring ipod touches. I am greatly dismayed and am very apprehensive about any future purchases of ipod touches after this. If any others have found the same, it would be good to hear how common an experience mine is.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
i have an ipod touch 16gb in use with a MBP running 10.5.1. I had jailbroken the ipod touch and loaded apps and it worked fine for several works. Strangely, i left the unit charging last night and woke to it frozen this morning. after trying to reset it, i was compelled to restore it but ran into the error 1604 issue. I have absolutely everything that has been suggested here and elsewhere and i am sad to say nothing at all worked. I tried different user acconts, restarting, different machines, forcing to restore from the file itself with iTunes closed, running in safe mode, running repeatedly (+15 times), and nothing at all has worked to restore the unit. I am not sure if this is what is meant by bricking, though from all i had read there always had seemed to be ways of restoring ipod touches. I am greatly dismayed and am very apprehensive about any future purchases of ipod touches after this. If any others have found the same, it would be good to hear how common an experience mine is.
Please tell me you aren't using a downloaded iPhone software?

If not, make sure iTunes is 7.5. If 7.4.2 dwnload 7.5

oneworld9

Jan 11, 2008
Please tell me you aren't using a downloaded iPhone software?

If not, make sure iTunes is 7.5. If 7.4.2 dwnload 7.5

I am not sure i understand you. I don't know any other way to obtain the software restore file other than by downloading it via iTunes. my iTunes version and has been for quite some time 7.5...

The only other point that seems very odd, is that when i went to the unit this morning it had drained the battery almost completely, and so when i connected it to the mac, the battery charging screen came, i let it charge for a bit and then it worked fine as it was before. After later charging it almost to full, it again kicked right back into the same blank screen in which the soft reset option (home and power buttons) did nothing to restart it. again, when connected iTunes told me i had to restore it and when run the restore process ran into error 1604. very very strange...

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I am not sure i understand you. I don't know any other way to obtain the software restore file other than by downloading it via iTunes. my iTunes version and has been for quite some time 7.5...

The only other point that seems very odd, is that when i went to the unit this morning it had drained the battery almost completely, and so when i connected it to the mac, the battery charging screen came, i let it charge for a bit and then it worked fine as it was before. After later charging it almost to full, it again kicked right back into the same blank screen in which the soft reset option (home and power buttons) did nothing to restart it. again, when connected iTunes told me i had to restore it and when run the restore process ran into error 1604. very very strange...
time to take another visit to dr. Apple?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
anyone know how to fix the problem of trying to restore an iPhone and getting the 1604 error ?

The 1604 error code means you need to re-install iTunes, and reboot the computer.

After you do that, then con't to jaulbreak you will get the 1015 error, which is the good one!