cannot SEND e mail with ISP

goherd90

Jul 5, 2007
My AOL account works fine...I can receive and send e mails fine. However with BELLSOUTH I can only receive incoming e mail..I cannot send....I believe my settings are correct. I get a message saying The SMTP server mail.bellsouth.net doesn't' support authentication?

Please help

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
My AOL account works fine...I can receive and send e mails fine. However with BELLSOUTH I can only receive incoming e mail..I cannot send....I believe my settings are correct. I get a message saying The SMTP server mail.bellsouth.net doesn't' support authentication?

Please help
You've done something wrong in your outgoing settings. It's easy to do. You might want to delete the account and sync it again with your Outlook through iTunes or whatever software you use if it's on a mac.

I know I was adding a second account (Yahoo) yesterday and I accidentally changed a setting and my POP3 account wouldn't send either. I checked the setting and found the problem. It's VERY easy to do.

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007

Please help
I have bellsouth as well, the problem with them is they block outgoing e-mails if you are not connected through their service. So basically if you don't have an IP address associated with a Bellsouth Internet account then you will not be able to send e-mails. This drives me crazy as I cant use that e-mail from work or anywhere besides my house.

goherd90

Jul 5, 2007
I have bellsouth as well, the problem with them is they block outgoing e-mails if you are not connected through their service. So basically if you don't have an IP address associated with a Bellsouth Internet account then you will not be able to send e-mails. This drives me crazy as I cant use that e-mail from work or anywhere besides my house.
So can we send e mail via bellsouth isp from iPhone or not? Weird on how I can receive e mails with my bellsouth account on iPhone but cant send?

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
So can we send e mail via bellsouth isp from iPhone or not? Weird on how I can receive e mails with my bellsouth account on iPhone but cant send?
You wont be able to send e-mails from a Bellsouth address with any mail program - the only way is to you use the bellsouth webmail website, which is just too much of a pain for me.

One thing that you can do is forward all of your bellsouth e-mails from your e-mail client at home to a different account (gmail, yahoo, .mac, etc) - thats what I have done so far.

3dg

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
You can't send Comcast either and a few other ISPs, unless you're directly connected to their network. You can however use a different outgoing server if you have one.

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Actually you can probably send them one way - you would have to be at the location with the physical Bellsouth DSL or whatever and have a wireless router to connect to from the iPhone. Other than that it wont work.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
How to set up sending mail through your own ISP e-mail account...

You can SEND mail through the EDGE network (but not WiFi) if you set the outgoing server to AT&T/Cingular's server.

On your phone, go to Settings --> Mail --> Email Account (Bellsouth one)

Under outgoing mail server put:
cwmx.com
Leave username and password blank.
in Advanced make sure SSL is off

Now, when you're connected to EDGE you'll be able to send e-mail through your bellsouth account.

This is the way I'm doing it for Optonline. I leave WiFi turned off unless I'm going to be browsing the web anyway (to save battery life).

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I can't send them away from my home wifi location either with my ISP. Some people say to configure the outgoing account to something like gmail, then you can get email where ever you are through your regular ISP account but you can send it through a secondary account like gmail or yahoo. Sounds sort of patchwork to me.

gmcenroe

Jul 5, 2007
San Mateo, CA
I can't send them away from my home wifi location either with my ISP. Some people say to configure the outgoing account to something like gmail, then you can get email where ever you are through your regular ISP account but you can send it through a secondary account like gmail or yahoo. Sounds sort of patchwork to me.

I had problems sending email with EDGE on comcast.

Now I have comcast email working without problem. Whether this is because comcast is working better or my iPhone is correctly configured I do not know. But here are my settings:

Incoming Mail Server
Host Name: mail.comcast.net
User Name: xxxxxxxx (fill in with yours)
Password: ********** (fill in with yours)

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)
Host Name: smtp.comcast.net
User Name: xxxxxxxxxx (fill this in with your username)
Password: ************* (fill this in with your password)

Under advanced Settings

Incoming Uses SSL: ON
Outgoing Uses SSL: OFF
Delete from server: Never

I hope this works for you. I was able to send a photo from my iPhone to my work email. Tried it twice and no problems.

Glenn